Has anyboidy had any experience with an 833-A single-ended triode amplifier?

One weakness of the SET is you are limited to sensitive speakers because of low power. Some people have experimented with using radio station transmitting tubes, especially the 833-A. Once you know how to do it, it is not difficult to build an 833-A final amplification stage which will work with low sensitivity speakers such as Magnepans if you prefer the sound of planar transducers to cone in box speakers and you can still have the purity of SET.
I have had success with only 1000 Volts through Hammond 1642SE output transformers. At this voltage the 833-A only draws 120 ma with zero grid bias so you can drive the grid with a 45 SET through a Lundahl LL2756 step-down transformer. The 10 Volt 10 Amp DC needed to heat the 833-A cathode is slightly tricky to build and I use 4.5 Farads in the final filter stage to do this.
Building your own, with help from someone who had experience with how to do this safely if you need it is much less expensive than buying one from a factory.
128x128drbarney1
There are far easier, safer and cheaper methods for driving more current to a pair of speakers.  No need to set your house on fire to do so.
Definitely one of the more exotic builds I’ve ever seen hereabouts, to put it mildly. Congratulations!

A couple of things I’m wondering:

1) Looking at the curves shown on page 10 of this 833-A datasheet the performance of the tube with 1000 volts on the plate and 0 volts on the grid doesn’t look particularly linear. Have you measured the amp’s distortion characteristics?

2) Given the 75 watt rating of the output transformer, and how close to cutoff the tube appears to be operating, I’m guessing that the maximum power capability of the amp is probably no more than around 50 watts, and perhaps less. I suppose that’s enough to drive Maggies in a small listening space such as yours, as shown in your system description thread, but is much less power than most people seem to find necessary with Maggies in more typical spaces.

In any event, congratulations again on some very impressive work.

Regards,
-- Al