What were some of your early Hi-End audio gear/influences?

I am now in my late '60s and became interested in "real" audio gear in 1968.  KLH compact stereo, Dynaco, Garrard/BSR and more.  

I have owned most of the brands that you would associate with hi-end audio.  That said, I don't think any other product had as much influence on setting me down the road to the "real" music sound quality than the original Large Advent.  Thank you Mr. Kloss. 

whatjd
Hail Kloss, original Large Advents for me too.  Had them for 20 years or so, powered by a Heathkit kit integrated amp, & a Fisher/Shure TT/cart.
Later assembled Dynaco pre & power amp for them too.  As a young teen I was mesmerized by the sound of a church room stereo, with medium sized KLH speakers, that's what first hooked me.   
Mainly my fathers HiFi JBL Sherwoood Rec o Kut,  my own gear was Kenwood integrated Klipsch Heresys a simple Yahawood plinth YP211 turtable,Akai tape deck.
Sad to say, but when I heard Bose in college, I was hooked on hifi.

Let's see. I know I had a pair of AR speakers that were small bookshelf speaker/monitors that had an unusual shape- the outer edges were tapered. I also ran another pair of bookshelf speaker with them, with impressive results, but I can't remember the name, nor the receiver I used, but it was pretty good. (God knows what strain I put on that amp).
Unfortunately, I sold it to a deadbeat who never paid me.

And, a pair of BIC SoundSpan speakers that weren't bad in retrospect.
I believe there is another speaker maker using a similar design now.

And, a pair of Tamanton speakers that were built in Williamsburg, Brooklyn-very close to a pair of Vandy 2's, but a bit less expensive. Unfortunately, Anton got out of the business. Though it was nice to meet a speaker designer and his wife (and child). I hope they are doing well.

Lots of speakers later, I eventually heard of Vandersteen.
They were a ground breaker that I always remembered. Though Magnepan, Shahinian, Quad, and even Ohm piqued my interest.

After 30 years of building my business, I finally got to the point of getting back into stereo.
That Vandy sound stuck with me, and I was happy to find them still in business.
My Treo's are one heck of a speaker.
Bob
Lots of live music in my early(formative) years, then- the first Dynaco kits, as a teen(thank you, David Hafler).