What differences should I be hearing as my new system breaks in?

I recently upgraded and replaced my entire stereo system. I have been using the new components a few weeks now, maybe two or more hours per day. I’ve been reading here the components have various burn in times. My question is, what differences or improvements should you expect to hear as the system breaks in over time. All the components were purchased brand new except the power conditioner. I understand different components take longer to burn in than others. From what I’ve read, on the low end, the cartridge should take maybe twenty or so hours to break in. On the high end the speakers might need up to three or four hundred hours.

My new system consists of a pair of Magico A3 speakers, a Luxman L-507uX MkII integrated amplifier, a VPI Classic 2 SE turntable with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, and a Marantz SA 8005 CD player (which I have had for a few years). I also acquired a Shunyata Hydra Denali 6000/S power conditioner, used, which everything is plugged into. Wiring consists of Audioquest Rocket 88’s to the speakers, VPI’s house brand cable from the turntable to the amp, and an Audioquest Colorado cable fom the CD player to the amp. The Shunyata Hydra Denali uses a Shunyata Venom power cord to the wall outlet.

It’s been interesting so far. Thus far some records or CD’s sound very different form what I’ve been used to listening to over the years. I had my old Dahlquist DQ-10’s, Bang and Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable and Phase Linear 400/4000 amp/preamp combination since the late seventies.

Some sparsely orchestrated Joni Mitchell sounded wonderful and beautifully articulated. Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers with Wayne Shorter, playing as I write, really shows off Mr. Shorter’s sax playing in full bodied way I’d not heard before. I really enjoyed Shostakovichs 5th symphony, where I’ve usually not been able to warm up to classical music. Stuff I’ve heard a million times before and was a little bored with has come alive for some reason. The Grateful Dead’s "Wake of the Storm" sounded inexplicably different and better for some reason. Bill Wyman’s bass intro into on the Stone’s "Live With Me" off Let It Bleed was a revelation. I’d never heard it before like that, although I’ve listened to Let It Bleed hundreds of times as the daily played soundtrack of my senior year in high school. Oddly, Let It Bleed sounded poor, particularly Mick’s vocals, at the speakers demo, to which I had taken it. Go figure.

On the other hand Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon on Mobile Fidelity sounded like a muddy mess and super crackly to boot, although an almost brand new pressing. Next up is a record cleaning machine to see if that makes any difference with well cared for records like the Pink Floyd recording. Paul Desmond’s alto sax practically jumped out of the speakers on the Brubeck’s Take Five album, which had previously left me non-plussed, but now was quite enjoyable. I’ll have to try a little more West Coast jazz. I’ll stop rambling right now.

Anyway, I’m curious how much better things may get and what may change, as the system gets burned in properly. I’d appreciate any input about what to expect from those of you who have some experience in this area. There’s been mostly nice surprises so far. Thanks,

Mike
skyscraper
sleepwalker65,

Ouch: That was a low blow!

geoffkait,

"glubson is my opposite."
Thanks for the compliment.
Millercarbon, appreciate your input on most of the changes happening early on. I didn't understand what might be occurring with the Magico's for example over a 400 hour burn in period.

Sleepwalker, I take it  burn in, not break in is the correct terminology. If so, I stand corrected.

Stereo5, you describe exactly the sound of the old Mobile Fidelity recording. I'm looking forward to getting one of the SACD recordings you and Glupson recommend as I hadn't played that record for years because it took the magic out of that great recording as you said. There's supposed to be some excellent pressings of the Stones :"Let It Bleed" , I read about on a fairly recent thread here, I'm going to track down too.

Glupson, thanks for the links

Noromance, I did have the original US pressing of Dark Side from when it first came out, but gave it away after getting the inferior Mobile Fidelity one. My mistake.

Geoffkait, is there a version of Dark Side of the Moon you prefer and might recommend? There seem to been so many versions and pressings from looking at your linked list. 

After 400 hours of burn in time audio nirvana should be a given, but maybe not judging from your experience. I probably wont get 400 hours in until next year sometime to know for sure.

For those of you who are using my thread here for bickering, please get a room, or at least entertain yourself somewhere else. I'd really prefer to be learning something about equipment burn in periods and what should be occurring during them, which some of you have kindly addressed. Thanks,

Mike

It is not about burn-in, but you may want to try Let It Bleed SACD for comparisons of something you are familiar with. Once upon a time, I read an article that band members bought SACD players and were positively surprised by the sound of those albums. I think it was in an interview with Keith Richards, but I may be wrong.
Sure, if you enjoy compressed sound. Let it Bleed SACD will do nicely. Be my guest.