Does my setup need a phono stage?

Tt: Marantz tt15s1, pre/pro: Marantz av8802a (phono built in) Amps: Mcintosh. Speakers: ML ESL-X. Subs: REL T7i. Power: 20a Furman elite. IC’s: Tempo Electric pure silver. A ridiculous amount of other tweaks. 

I love my new ( and my first) turntable. I love putting on a record, the tactile and ceremonial feel of it. I love reading the notes and looking at the art. Don’t get me wrong, streaming MQA on my SimAudio is great, but I feel like I’m finally listening to the music and not just playing with my roon; searching for the next recoding that’s gonna really show off those synergistic blue fuses and ps audio noise harvesters. Y’all know what I mean? It’s more relaxed. It feels good. 

I’m glad I got that out. So..... here is the question, Will a dedicated phono stage make an audible improvement over the one in my Marantz 8802a, which already sounds awesome, or should I just stick with what I have? I’d like to spend less than $1200, I’d love to spend less than $700. Low noise is important to me (I spent the good part of a year chasing noise out of my system). I want the output of my cartridge (Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood) to match the gain of the phono stage, so it’ll need to be close to 48.8dB. New or used, tube or SS. I’d like suggestions, Id love to research them. And let’s be honest, y’all know that in this hobby (affliction) even if 98% of you say “just use the built in phono in your Marantz” I’m probably still gonna chase the dragon. So bring it on, and thanks in advance. 

Andrew 

andrewkelley
I like this guy's reviews. I'd be tempted to try the Schiit Mani at $129 from Amazon and return it if not impressed.
https://youtu.be/TaARB28ZHkw
Your Marantz is designed for home theater, and while including a phono stage is a nice feature, it's probably an afterthought and not very high quality.  I owned an AV8801 and currently have an AV7704 and must admit that I've never even bothered to try the phono section in either.  They might be better than I think, but I doubt it. 

You have a nice turntable and cartridge, nice enough that you should be able to extract more from it by adding a phono stage.  There are a lot of nice choices within your budget.  The Parks Audio Puffin is really nice for $400.  I've heard good things about the Black Cube also, but have not heard one.  Another favorite of mine in your price range is the Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena.  A quick search showed a used one currently for sale at a reasonable price.  Both the Puffin and Phonomena have a ton of gain settings and both will also work with MC carts if you decide to get one in the future.

At the end of the day, your Marantz may be a weak link in your audio enjoyment.  Consider an upgrade to a separate preamp at some point, something with home theater bypass that will allow you to use the preamp for 2 channel listening and the Marantz for home theater using the same speakers and amp.
I tried a few 500 - 1000 dollar phono stages when my Aesthetix Io was away for longtime repair. Ended up with a used ASR mini basis mk 2 for ca 500. Nice and flexible, mostly "sins of omission" in terms of sound, compared to the others I tried. 
"need" a phono stage?

yes, an outboard unit will make noticeable improvement but, all relative to the entire setup.

I would consider a used piece. For your amount,plenty of choices. That amount is equal to half the retail of a quite good unit. I would negotiate with a seller for even less.

The suggestion of the Schiit Mani is solid. It likely would be the best $129 spent. I had one while waiting for my proper phono amp was being repaired.