My 1st Tube Equipment Experience

I just purchased a used Herron Audio VTSP-3A(r02) tube preamp, as a replacement for a NAD M12.  I paired the M12 with a NAD M22 v2.  My first impressions are the M12 has more detail, the VTSP is much warmer, which is what I wanted.  The VTSP sound is definitely different.  And while it lacks the M12 detail, I do like it.  

With the M12, my speakers were dead silent when music was not playing.  With the VTSP, I hear a slight hiss when I put my ear very near a speaker.  With the M12, I used XLR from the M12 to the M22; XLR from my Parasound JC3 jr; and RCA from my Liberty DAC.  With the VTSP, everything now is RCA.

Is a little hiss common when using a tube preamp and SS power amp with RCA cables?
128x128oldschool1948
This preamp has no gain setting that I can find, at least on the outside.  My speakers are Tannoy 8 dcti.  And yes, I have to put my ear to the tweeter to hear the hiss.  

I like the Heron paired with the M22 v2.  I’m hearing all of the detail I heard with the M12, without the “glare.” 
@jmolsberg.  I see said the blind man!

I'm not yet sure what mode the Heron is set to.  I like what I hear now, but I'm definitely going to play with the M22 and Heron gain modes today to see what happens.  

Thanks to everyone for your help.  I'm really enjoying my 1st tube preamp experience.
@oldschool (:

that is one fine pre amp good sir. and if you bought it new, it is only get better. match this to the Herron VTPH-2A!