My 1st Tube Equipment Experience

I just purchased a used Herron Audio VTSP-3A(r02) tube preamp, as a replacement for a NAD M12.  I paired the M12 with a NAD M22 v2.  My first impressions are the M12 has more detail, the VTSP is much warmer, which is what I wanted.  The VTSP sound is definitely different.  And while it lacks the M12 detail, I do like it.  

With the M12, my speakers were dead silent when music was not playing.  With the VTSP, I hear a slight hiss when I put my ear very near a speaker.  With the M12, I used XLR from the M12 to the M22; XLR from my Parasound JC3 jr; and RCA from my Liberty DAC.  With the VTSP, everything now is RCA.

Is a little hiss common when using a tube preamp and SS power amp with RCA cables?
128x128oldschool1948
For my taste, it sounds like you made a backward move. Never give up detail.
Frank Van Alstine used the 5751 tube in place of the stock 12AX7 in his Dynaco PAS pre-amp mod. Quietest tube pre-amp I've owned, or even heard. The 5751 is a little lower in gain than the 12AX7 though. Has anyone tried a 5751 in the Herron?
@noromance  In general I would agree.  The M12 is a too bright; I also don't use it's DAC, BluOS module, or phono inputs.  If the Heron doesn't pan out, I'll look for something else.  
@bdp24 " Has anyone tried a 5751 in the Herron "
Tubes in Herron's are 6992s not 12ax7s/5751s
Ah, I was thinking of the Herron RIAA phono amps, which use 12AX7's and 12AT7's. Never mind ;-) .