Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
pjw
 I also have my eye on that new Stan Getz live recording with Roy Haynes and Steve Kuhn. Let me know how you like it!!
If you think a sexual predator must be respected you need to take 101-102
Ethics at some where near you , quick.By your logic since Iron Maiden sold far more records than any jazzman you can’t argue they were not better.
You post has the mentality of a 12 year old on her way to a Justin Beiber  . Can’t argue with that .
Schubert your incessant posts to "prove" to every member of this forum that your opinions are the end all be all are, to put it mildly, bigotry.

You are entitled to your opinion and I have always respect that.

While all of us here might have differing opinions and viewpoints on subjects we should respect each other. No one can claim that his or her opinions are the only ones that count.

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your OWN FACTS.

Fact: The Getz Gilberto album was, up until much later, the number one selling jazz album with the number one selling jazz single of all time.

Fact: At a time when rock and roll was becoming  the mainstream music in the U.S.A. and the beatle’s had just released a couple albums that Getz Gilberto was an international success speaks volumes of the appeal of Astrud’s vocals to the jazz community.

On another note why don’t you throw all of your Stan Getz albums in the trash (if you have any) since he was a drug and alcohol addict, bi polar, and a sexual predator.