Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
mary_joThanks for posting on Emily Remler. I have long been a fan and have her CDs on the Concord label. I knew she died young but heard conflicting stories about having heart problems and then  also other stories about a drug problem. The story you posted seem to bring out the fact that as a woman in a man's profession she seems to suffer and have difficulties in securing work and acceptance which is sad. A terrific Talent gone too soon.
pjwI have that CD" Mostly Coltrane" by Steve Kuhn for quite a while along with many other titles by him mostly Piano Trio settings.   I regard him as a very underrated musician  who has flyed under the radar for most of his career but his musician ship, songwriting talents, improvisational skills and ability to put together excellent bands makes him one of my favorite musicians.
pjwI was listening to vocalists Tierney Sutton and astrud Gilberto this afternoon. I think Sutton has a much better voice but that doesn't mean that Astrid is not a singer. First of all if Stan Getz chose her over anyone else I have to respect that .   Astrud had a nice light delicate voice that perfectly fit the new category of music created. And also I think she did pretty well considering English is not her first language. As you said "the Girl from Ipanema" was an international hit and Still Remains very popular song anywhere in the world where it's played. You can't argue with that!!
pjw
 I also have my eye on that new Stan Getz live recording with Roy Haynes and Steve Kuhn. Let me know how you like it!!