Shelter 501 mkii then what now

I bought a Shelter 501 mk ii around 10 years ago and most folks on Agon then thought it was the best value cartridge of its time. what is the current around thousand dollar cartridge champion
128x128rockinroni
I talked to Andy Kim and he told me the micro line stylus with the Boron cantilever would make it better than a 901 improve the sound more than $100,000 amp so this is the the way I'm headed I'll keep you all informed
What is the original cantilever? (Aluminum, boron, or Ruby/sapphire?). And what is the shape of the OEM stylus? Thx.
I had a 501 re-tipped at SoundSmith with the OCR.  It was fine.  But it was easy to tell that an Audio Technica Art-9 outperformed it.  The re-tipped 501 was easy to sell.
I do not believe in re tipping. If you want it remanufactured send it back to Shelter. The Clearaudio Essence MC and the Audio Technic AT ART9 are both excellent trackers and solid sonic performers. I have never listened to the Shelter so I can not compare but to get significantly better performers than these you would have to spend 3-4 times as much.
"I do not believe in re tipping."

I can assure it’s a real thing.

Sorry, the temptation was too great....

Anyway, retipping/rebuilding by a third party is just as good as a rebuild by the manufacturer as long as said party knows their stuff. It simply depends on whether you want/need the cartridge to sound the same when it returns, or if you’re happy with one that sounds somewhat different but most likely equally good.

I’ve had both done, but likely won’t ever go with a manufacturer rebuild ever again, simply because the wait is usually waaaaay longer than when using a third party. Benz Micro in particular has been particularly tardy in my experience. Besides, making use of a trade-in option is often only marginally more expensive and you don’t need to wait for months on end for your cartridge to be returned.

However, third parties like Soundsmith saves both time and large chunks of money and the results have invariably been excellent in my case.