Sound quality vs. volume

Looking for a bit of expertise here:

I recently made a few changes to my setup and while overall pleased with the results, I’m on the quest for better.  I’m hoping you all can help me diagnose an issue I’m hearing.

When listening to music at lower volume levels - say less than 1/2 total volume, the clarity, imaging and dynamics come across far more coherent and “in focus”.  To use an often over-coined phrase “It’s like I’m there in the room”.  As I start to push the volume up a bit, closer to live-performance levels, the sound becomes increasingly “mushy”.  I know, a highly technical term, but the best way to describe what I am hearing.  The bottom-end loosens up - getting a bit boomy, the crispness of the mid-range and highs fade and the imaging falls out of focus.  These are all incremental with volume until I get to the point where it’s just unbearable.   

I’m no expert by any means but feel it might be room acoustics.  I already know I have a less than ideal setup with a nearly square room (21x20ft) with 60% of the surface covered with clear birch wood paneling. Some things we can’t change (easily).  I do not have any acoustic treatment, just lots of soft furniture.  What I find interesting is that my old setup (Magnepan 1.6) didn’t suffer to such a degree.  Maybe with the new setup there is more to loose?  A mystery.  

For a bit more context:  
Speakers:  Dynaudio Contour 60
Streamer: SoTM sms-200 Ultra
Amplifier: Peachtree Nova500

Within the 20x21ft. room, my speakers are 4ft. from the wall, I am seated 13ft. from the front wall (a bit back from room center). Speakers are 9ft. apart.

Any thoughts?  

wanderingmoo
Unfortunately, a lot of the reasons why systems generally become distorted and congealed at higher volumes is beyond the scope of this forum. Suffice it to say that even with the best you can do with ordinary means, you know what I’m talking about - room treatments, damping, vibration isolation, suspension of cables, cryogenics, aftermarket fuses, CD treatments - distortion of the sound remains, and dynamic range compression and a loss of musicality when the volume is pushed up past moderate levels. There’s nothing wrong with your system. It’s got nothing to do with dynamic headroom. Electronics generally don’t distort when only at 3/4 full power.

It has to do with LOCAL effects that are independent of the system, including the electrical grid, electronics, cabling, room acoustics, house wiring. It’s a long way to Tipperary. You have to take algebra before 🔙 you take calculus. The reasons for the distortion are for the advanced class. You could call it extra sensory perception. An ordinary man has no means of deliverance.
Thinking about the OP’s amp(800WPC) and speaker ratings(390W max); I’m skeptical, for the same reason I cited above, but- it’s entirely possible he’s driving the speakers into compression, trying for some ridiculous levels(I try to give people the benefit of the doubt). If he was satisfied with his Maggies, his new Contours should be slightly better, from the output standpoint. Are they broken in, yet? From the description given, regarding what’s being experienced, it could be either(but, still- probably room overload). https://www.klippel.de/know-how/measurements/nonlinear-distortion/compression-of-fundamental-components.html
The way to tell if it's your speakers or your room:
Sit 3' away from them. See if the mushiness goes away.
It’s not really an either/or situation 🔛. It doesn’t have to be either the speakers OR the room. I.e., when you’re sitting 3’ from the speakers and the sound is still distorted, congealed and irritating what’s the next theory? 😬 The trouble is we’re very used to the distortion and lack of clarity because that’s how it’s always sounded. You get used to a certain amount of distortion. Yes, I know what you’re thinking, “But it sounds good to me.”
Post removed