Thoughts on extending speaker life.

For those of us who own speakers that are past a few years old, and those same speakers utilize dynamic drivers, what are your thoughts on extending the life of the rubber surround ( assuming that your driver utilizes this kind of design).
In general, as the driver ages, the likelihood of the rubber surround failing increases. Without actually replacing the driver ( not possible in some instances) what do you suggest to extend the life of the driver(s), if anything?

For those with other types of driver design, what are your concerns about the extended usage of this kind of driver as it ages?

128x128daveyf
@johnk --

To keep my 80 -50 year old speakers working well I play them and keep them dry and out of the sun

Wouldn't you say regular (certainly weekly) use of one's speakers, apart from other named factors, is a vital part in keeping them "up to speed" over time? It seems to me an overlooked aspect in the discussion of how to favorably maintain the performance of speakers through many years. 
"An occasional application of Armor All is beneficial for surrounds."

No offense but a bad advice. It'll make them crack immaturely. 
I would hope all the car guys know the last thing you want to put on rubber is silicone, as it hastens degradation. Or if not then say hello to Griot's Garage. https://www.griotsgarage.com/  But if you are worried about ozone well then guess you better do the insides, as electricity produces ozone so there's likely gonna be a lot more of it inside than outside. Not that its worth worrying about even then. But if you are gonna worry, at least get it right.

I have a pair of mid-80s vintage Vandersteen 4s stored in a closet since 1991 (no use since then). I just assumed the surrounds of midrange, woofer, & subs would be trashed. But I also don't know whether Vandersteen used butyl rubber surrounds or something else. Kinda doubt he used foam, but anything is possible. All to say I have some "skin in this game" and don't know what I'd find if I pulled out the 4s and fired them up...

The best thing I got out of this discussion is " suspension sag." Never heard that term. Now I'm thinking about using a speaker bra...