Trying to get a general idea of SQ hierarchy for combo pre/DAC vs separate boxes

How does a combo preamp and DAC compare to separates? And do you spend more on the preamp or the DAC? I started out looking for comparisons of the PS Audio Stellar GDC because I liked the idea of its analogue volume control, but there are a lot of options. With separates I might upgrade my DAC first before I start messing with anything else. Here's a quick list with current prices on both sides of the GCD:

$ 900 - Schiit Saga ($300) & Bimby ($600)
$1500 - Schiit Freya+ ($900) & Bimby
$1550 - Schiit Saga & Gumby ($1250)
$1700 - PS Audio Stellar GCD
$2000 - Benchmark DAC3 L
$2150 - Schiit Freya+ & Gumby
$2200 - Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Current system is Dynaudio Audience 82, Musical Fidelity A300 Integrated, Oppo BDP-105 for discs and DAC. Leaning toward a PrimaLuna power amp, either HP stereo or monoblocks . The list of speakers I want to listen only gets longer the more I read so I'm putting that off for a bit. Might try streaming and a dedicated server eventually. Most of my CDs are already ripped lossless on an SSD plugged into the Oppo, but the interface is heinous. Ripped files through the Oppo sound fine, but I really miss the AH! Njoe Tjoeb I had until the transport finally died. I think that may be what is making me want to go the tube amp route.
cat_doorman
Just let me note from your list the new  Schiit Freya+ has a warm and detailed, surprisingly dynamic and low noise sound signature in tube mode, it gives you lot for it's price what most of the DACs cannot give.

My only concerns are the followings about use of Freya+ (or use of Saga what I never had);
- Volume control (and all the relays) are very noisy, volume control sounds like a driller during volume up/down, other manufacturers do relay based volume controls significantly better. Difficult to recommend Freya+ as a volume control.
- There is mute function but not "standby" mode. Mute lets the tube heaters on so unit become very hot, power switch at the back side a bit difficult to reach. I wish to see "standby" mode on a future Freya++ and on the remote controller.

I have to chime in here, as I’ve owned 2 Schiit pre’s with the relay volume feature. I’m not sure what a “driller” is or what one sounds like, though I own a few drills. I can emphatically say that Schiit’s volume design is not a loud intrusive noise when being adjusted.

There is a clicking noise and also the music is somewhat affected while you turn the knob, but that’s it. If one is constantly adjusting the volume during songs it may get tiresome, but there is more of a likelihood that a nearby partner will ask you to pick a volume level. Not that it’s ever happened between me and my wife.

The volume, and transparent sound of the Schiit pre’s, are what has me sold on them and planning yet another preamp purchase from Schiit. The performance of their components for price has them competing with the over $2000 range, at least with the Freya +.
Oppo 105 has Tidal App streamer build in ( I believe it is the last version of Oppo has this feature). You use mobile device to browse and contro the Oppo. You will use Opps's XLR balanced lineout. You will need a good a balanced Pre-amp amp combo (i use a Krell 300i). The result is super.
Never tried the Tidal app on the Oppo. Eventually gave up on the less than 100% compatibility the Oppo dongle had with my spotty home wifi. Had better luck with FireTV (5GHz vs 2.4GHz) and there are more apps. I’m just now realizing I watch an obnoxious amount of TV, movies, and YouTube these days compared to music. I went without a TV for years, maybe I’m just catching up. 

i think I may have also forgotten that one of the reasons I bought the Oppo was for the DAC and streaming possibilities. So easy to get sidetracked. Hearing about the relay clicking on Schiit pre-amps and DACs makes me more hesitant to go that route.. I’m easily distracted so any clicking would eventually get on my nerves. With the volume control on the Oppo it may make more sense to jump right to a new power amp before fiddling with DACs. I haven’t used any other sources for years - once my system resolved to the point where tape and tuner were unlistenable - so additional analog inputs aren’t a priority just yet. Since I’ve compulsively started looking at reviews on phono stages, turntables, and cartridges even though I own no vinyl it’s only a matter of time.