McIntosh autoformers vs direct-coupled output

Hi Out there!  I'm just getting back into audio after a 40 year hiatus.  An old "Tube" guy (McIntosh, Marantz, etc)
who didn't much care for the perceived change in sound with the intro of S.S. about 1970.

I happen to like certain features of McIntosh stuff. I'm also of the opinion that older, high grade items, brought
back to specs with judicious restoration, are more than adequate sonically, and a bargain against new.

All that said: I'd greatly appreciate feedback on the issue of McIntosh's Autoformer Amps vs direct-coupled.
Seems there's a serious division of opinion, and I'd like to hear yours!
Thanks for any/all input!
Bo
128x128broockies
Post removed 

kosst_amojan,

You said:

"For me their simply out of the question. My Focals were designed to be powered by direct coupled solid state amps and utilize impedance curves to draw power and flatten the response. A power source amp that's indifferent to those impedance curves simply won't produce flat response. And my Focals are hardly unique in that design tactic."

Almarg, Could you please comment on this statement? I haven't heard of this before. 

+1 with kosst, I'm driving a pair of Kanta 2's and have never heard of this? Would something like a Pass Lab amp drive them more appropriately?
Post removed