Buy a $40,000 10 year old amp for $4,000 or new amp for same money?

Hi. There are bargains to be had on really high-end components that are more than a few years old. DACs change too much and we need the newer technology. How about amps and pre-amps? I know it can depend on the specific amp but in general is a 10 year old amp that was $40,000 in 2009 and now sell for $4,000 a better value than a new amp that sells for $4,000 in 2019?  How much has amplification evolved in the past decade or so? (I posted a similar questions about speakers in that forum). Thanks for all the input and wisdom. 
mcmanus
Hi,
@luxmancl38
as we discuss about amplifiers this is 38% compared to original price for a model made back in 1999 (22+ years) and not 10%. As i recall its srp was $9,999 and not $12,000 which raises the percentage to 45% (logical).
Opps! Hey I had to go to Summer School for Algebra. But if you want to see one section of audio gear that drops like a stone. Look at AVR's and AVR processors. I still have a Krell Showcase in my system. Could get about $400-$500 for an original price of $4000.
Who in the world buys audio equipment as an investment, and thinks that gear will appreciate? As long as the sound quality doesn’t degrade, it runs for years, and doesn’t break, I’m a happy guy. 

People who buy used gear help other people buy new gear. 

I always hated buying cars, another depreciating asset, so I moved to some place where I didn’t need to own a car. 

I won’t give up my stereo, though. 
Personally I think 10 years for amps is around the time sending the unit in for a upgrade is prudent. If I saw a $40k amp for $4k that I was familiar with I would email the manufacturer and get the cost of refurbishing the unit, say $2k to replace questionable caps. Now whats out there for $6k?