SS Amp Designer by Reputation

It looks like I'm going to try my first solid state amp soon. Looking for used < $3k. I've seen many brands here like Krell Jeff Roland, Pass, PS Audio, etc. Frankly, I don't have time to read endless reviews or discussion threads and auditioning before I purchase is out of the question.

So, is there a consensus on the top 3 manufacturers/designers that I can focus on when shopping? I will certainly end up selling it and trying something else anywho so, it's not important that I'll nail it on my first try. I just want to make sure my first purchase is close to the bulls eye.

Once I get the three brands, I'll do my research on a particular model from there.

thanx!!
pawlowski6132
Mark  Levinson 532h is outstanding,  great midrange ranked as about the best and will drive anything with ease. 
You can find on Agon for just over $3,000 Used and will be worth it. 
Their reputation is outstanding.  
With a budget of < $3K it is tough to make a rep based on my experience. But first I would want to know what kind of speakers you are driving. What is the sensitivity in dB and impedance in ohms. Having said that I don’t think you can go wrong with getting a pair of Schiit Vidar monoblocks and you will have money to spare. An amp that I have been circling around because the personal reviews and specs are amazing is the Benchmark AHB2 which is $2999. Another favorite, but you will have to stretch the budget a little is the Bryston 4B3 which you can get used with proper negotiating for around $3300-$3600. 
You could try a used Anthem P2 it will last a very long time, built like a tank and able to drive any speaker out there, 325wpc @ 8ohms
Marantz reference series and or rogue audio are my preferences....very happy with both my pm14s1 and sphinx v2...