Rumors of iTunes Demise

It looks like iTunes is going away before too long. I'm sure no one cares and most tech web sites are cheering. I don't care either.

But I do see it as another step towards individuals not owning music at all. 

A lot of folks don't care about that notion either. 

Kind of ironic that this step comes from the very same company that in 1984 rocked the world with their '1984' commercial about breaking the strings that tie us to the Borg-like mainframe.

Now here we are a few decades later clamoring to be utterly dependent on the mainframe in the sky. 
n80
It was announced today at the WWDC iTunes will be replaced with 3 apps, Apple Music, Apple Podcast and Apple TV. Synching  will be incorporated  into  the new iOS Catalina 
@chazro : Sometimes "fake news" is the real news. And even then a lot of folks aren't able to tell.

djones51, I’ve been an Apple/Mac user since college. Started with the Apple 2e and I’ve never owned anything but Apple/Mac products for my computing and smart phone needs. (I’ve used Windows at work for decades and know the difference).

But the company that attracted me with an elegant and friendly user interface and went on to meet my needs for high end photo editing and cataloging no longer attracts me. I find their abandonment of the PC and abandonment of their initial principle of empowering the end user to be problematic. I no longer see them as an asset and only as a necessary evil. My current MacBook Pro is 10 years old. My current 27" iMac is about 4 years old and was a disappointment. My iPhone is a 6s Plus and I have likewise been unimpressed and get more frustrated with every new iOS.

The only thing that appeals to me about Apple is their stand on privacy....and even that I suspect is mostly marketing and surely delivers a false sense of security.

I wonder if I will be around when some smart young new iconoclasts see a market that empowers the end user and is based on independence from the "cloud" (I despise that word and the whole idea behind it). And given the zombie-sheep that modern consumers have become I wonder if that product would have any appeal for the masses?

Rant over. Sorry about that.

Anyway, one fewer way to own music as of today.
"...I wonder if that product would have any appeal for the masses?"
It will, just like reel-to-reel players on the other thread. You, a friend of mine, and I will buy it.
Post removed