What is a lowball offer? How low is low?

Recently I was looking at 2 -3 preamps. One was particularly interesting which was a Conrad Johnson 16LS2. The asking price was $3500. I have always wanted the 16LS2. But it was out of my price range. I couldn't make a serious offer. So I didn't and moved on. A few days later I see that it has sold for $2500! What? That was in my budget. But I would have considered that more an insult than a offer. And because I didn't want to insult the seller, I lost a good preamp to someone who was willing to take the chance. So what is the lesson learned here? Apparently I should insult more sellers . The seller wasn't insulted after all. he sold it for $2500. Or is the lesson that I take this stuff too seriously?Should sellers be insulted when offered 50% of their price?  I had thought that 10-15% below the asking price was a realistic offer. Now I'm not sure. So what do you consider a low ball offer? And please, I understand that a product is worth what someone is willing to pay. So no economic lessons please
128x128artemus_5
I watch the prices of my gear and while they are not new, I can get what I paid for my MC501 mono block amps and probably more than I paid for my C220 tube preamp, 9 years ago.

Well kept McIntosh gear out performs the used marketplace IMHO.

It is all brand dependent I believe.
Not all products these days have gone through dealers.

eg, we have a ’direct to end user’ tier of cables. (anything that says ’GC’ in the name)

Those cables are already discounted, when sold new.

To sell them for quite a bit below that price, is, well..a case of not doing your market research.

This is becoming more common, as the market advances to fewer and fewer brick and mortar dealers and more and more direct sales. Jut like the rest of the internet sales that are out there.

The trick is to figure out who is who and what is what in that arena.

I'm not sure the statement that no one pays retail is accurate....I'd be interested in hearing from some people who have purchased products from companies like Tekton, Salk, Modwright, PSAudio, Ascend, Rythmik and some of the more well known internet companies....were you able to buy direct from the company, not b stock, at a 10% discount or more...other than when they had some kind of an annual announced sale/clearance?

@mr_m 
Yes I read the last sentence. I wholeheartedly agree that respect goes a long way. However, I see respect as what you do as much as what you say. IE, if I am having a pleasant conversation with  a gentleman who is speaking with a great amount of respect to me, yet I somehow discover his hand in my pocket, I somehow find that disrespectful of him no matter how pleasant his words. This is why I asked the original question. At what point (offer) does a person's actions show disrespect? Or is it just the way one phrases his offer the insult?