How loud do you play music?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07558DPKN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the above Sound level meter which give out peak reading.

It tuned out that peak db is around 85 db at my listening chair.

From time to time I got over 90db but I found the sound to be too loud.

But last night I recorded 105db while playing

https://www.amazon.com/Bernstein-Suite-Candide-Meditations-Divertimento/dp/B00000JXY1 .

There is some behind story for this.

About one week ago after swapping some IC cables, I started hearing ground hum.

At first I guessed that there must be some problem with IC cables but not.

Thus I pulled back two big 2KW isolation transformers that I had kept for 20 years.

I had not used them for last 7 years since they are heavy and taking lot of space.

With those two isolation transformers in Line Magnetic SET amplifier and power supply of Lansche 4.1 speakers, 80% of ground hum disappeared.

I bought one more 450W isolation transformer from Amazon and set it up with my EMMlab DAC2 and now almost 90% of ground hum are gone.

The amazing thing is that some digital sheen is also gone after setting up three isolation transformers.

I bought 2 packs of 20 magnetic cores.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWC5ZTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put them on digital, IC and speaker cables.

Now I can play music above 100db without ear aching hardness.

The only drawback of magnetic cores is that it may sound less open or slightly less dynamic.

But I am comfortable with the round and musical sound after putting three isolation transformers and 30 magnetic cores.

2 packs of 20 magnetic cores cost me 24 $ including tax.

This is the best value tweak that I had done on my system.

Thomas
128x128shkong78
What with the aggressive dynamic range compression that’s all the rage these days, the main problem is turning the volume down before you listen, you know, so you don’t blow your ear drums out. It’s also a clue as to whether the CD or LP or SACD is overly compressed.
@elizabeth

Pretty sad indeed but I think more a reflection of the stupid times we now live in rather than excessively loud music per se.
No idea how accurate the app is on my phone but I use it all the time to get a rough idea of what the SPL is.  Typically between 70-80 dB with peaks at 85 gives me everything I need and I'm not doing much harm to my hearing either.

I have always been more interested in getting good sound at lower SPL say 60-70 dB which would allow you to have a conversation but also enjoy all of the detail in your source material at the same time.
It depends on the listening session, but the best sessions are where you turn it up and pressurize the room with sound you can hear and feel. It’s a real treat to be able to turn it up and not hear any distortion from the system nor rattles from anything in the room, but just pure music. It’s magical. And then you end your listening session and it decays to silence and you think, “Well that was a rush,” with a big smile on your face.