Music lover or audiophile?

I think you have to decide, are you a music lover or audiophile?  I know the majority will say, both.
 I’m not so sure though. The nature of audiophilia is to get in there and fiddle with the tools, like any other hobbyist.  The difference in our hobby though is that presumably, our ultimate goal is to have the best musical experience we can get. The hobbyist is never really finished. The manipulation of the materials is the fun. The music lover, however, wants to get the most out of that esthetic experience.  
By continually plying materials, the audiophile is on an endless quest for better sound.
 After years of this quest, I’ve decided I can be a music lover or an audiophile.  I’m happy listening to my system now the way it is.  So, I’ve decided to be a music lover once again.
128x128rvpiano
For me, music came first. My family had 45s, albums and 8-track tapes. We had radios playing all the time. Most of the restaurants we went to back then had juke boxes. I used to love to get some spare change to play records in the juke boxes.
I had cheap 1970s record players back then and eventually got modular component systems in the early 80s. From then, mid-fi and hi-fi. But music always comes first in my book.
It's likely better to be a gear lover instead of a music lover as, since  music wouldn't be a part of this scenario, the gear would just sit there making you happy without the pesky distraction of sound coming from it.
@wolf_garcia Thanks for that, good belly laugh, much needed.

I did like the way my old VTL 225s looked with the KT90s aglow.  Sort of a fireplace effect.  Very soothing.
Simple answer from me -

Early 70s            -> Music listener only.
End 70s to 2012 -> Equipment buyer/swapper.
2012                    -> DSP & room correction.
(*see "Is DEQX a game changer" thread)
2017 onward      -> Music listener only.

* https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/is-deqx-a-game-changer?highlight=is%2Bdeqx%2Ba%2Bgame%2Bchanger