Music lover or audiophile?

I think you have to decide, are you a music lover or audiophile?  I know the majority will say, both.
 I’m not so sure though. The nature of audiophilia is to get in there and fiddle with the tools, like any other hobbyist.  The difference in our hobby though is that presumably, our ultimate goal is to have the best musical experience we can get. The hobbyist is never really finished. The manipulation of the materials is the fun. The music lover, however, wants to get the most out of that esthetic experience.  
By continually plying materials, the audiophile is on an endless quest for better sound.
 After years of this quest, I’ve decided I can be a music lover or an audiophile.  I’m happy listening to my system now the way it is.  So, I’ve decided to be a music lover once again.
128x128rvpiano
OP
I guess I never of had the experience of getting so wrapped up in the gear issues that I couldn’t enjoy the music because I was obsessing to much about deficiencies in the playback experience.  You seem to have been unfortunately afflicted in this way.  I am not being critical, just expressing sadness that this has occurred.  Based on your previous posts I think that we have very similar tastes in Music, so this seems to hit a bit close to home...I can only urge that if playback obsession becomes the dominant focus, perhaps you shouldn’t listen to anything for a few weeks.  When I have to endure a long stretch without being able to hear Music I then appreciate it so much more and cease to care what playback medium is used.
Mahler 123,

Yes, you are indeed fortunate not to have been afflicted with that sorry addiction.
But, the good news is that I’ve decided to move on. 
And, for now, I’m in a very good place.  I actually created this post as a kind of manifesto celebrating my liberation.  Audiophilia, as I call it, to me was a destructive force in the way of enjoying my life’s passion.
Thank you for your suggestion, but I don’t think I need that hiatus now.

Anyone addicted to gear swapping as an obsession might be sane, but OCD esque personality quirks best just stay home and get therapy...unless you're happy with that...Not unlike most people around here, I'll try things in my gear heap to see if they're for me, and if it ain't working, meaning the music I like sounds wrong somehow, it's outta here or I fiddle until things are right (tube synchronicity is one of those fixable things that takes some attentive listening). Generally if there's clarity and coherence I can leave the rig alone for a long time and dig deep into the music. I'm a musician first, and an evil ne'er do well second.

Ah the usual false dichotomy.
Though it's always been a form of "virtue signalling" in the audiophile world to say "I'm all about the music...I'm a music lover first!"

Most of us (if not all) are both. 

I like switching up my speakers...because I like speakers and audio gear.  It's fun.  I just switched in my little spendor speakers, did the usual audiophile dialing them in to get the sound I want....and then enjoyed the f#ck out of some Cheap Trick albums.