looking for ideas on must have classical music

Hello classical devotees!

A friend had me rip quite a few of his CDs for his trip abroad. most were classical, and many were like 'best of' compilations. one or two were whole symphonies.

armed with these at least and no others I felt it time to wade into the classical waters and increase that genre in my library.

what then, are your fav, 3 or 4, go to, gotta have composers, movements, and or conductors out there on CD at least?

if also available in HD or otherwise, please point towards them as well, if you don't mind.

your input is sincerely appreciated and this input will initiate my list for current and future additions to the catalog, so again, thanks very much!!
blindjim
I agree with Sprigreen andd Frogman, take up a music appreciation class. Good for you that you took up keyboard, I did the same at age 54, bought an ole Kimball upright and several years later a 1926 Chickering Grand, rebuilt it and found a great teacher. My motivation? to learn how to play Mozart’s piano concerto k466 2nd movement. As I found out, dreams are wonderful but the journey maybe more so.

Appreciation of great classical music from the Renaissance to 21st century composers is something that requires development and listening. We all have our particular favorites. Recommendations of particular pieces just reflects individual tastes. ALSO, support your local orchestra, great art requires support for it to sustain.
Tchaikovsky's violin concerto performed by the great Erica Morini. It's available in stereo in the CD format. 

Frank
A very simple suggestion: Collect the RCA Living Stereo SACDs. They are remastered from the great recordings of the 50s & 60s recordings of great music played by wonderful orchestras, and would constitute a very good classical collection. They are available from Barnes & Noble for $10ea.