Why the fascination with subwoofers?

I have noticed many posts with questions about adding subwoofers to an audio system. Why the fascination with subwoofers? I guess I understand why any audiophile would want to hear more tight bass in their audio system, but why add a subwoofer to an existing audio system when they don’t always perform well, are costly, and are difficult to integrate with the many varied speakers offered. Additionally, why wouldn’t any audiophile first choose a speaker with a well designed bass driver designed, engineered and BUILT INTO that same cabinet? If anyone’s speakers were not giving enough tight bass, why wouldn’t that person sell those speakers and buy a pair that does have tight bass?
128x1282psyop
Some people are after All the response , not just down to what their neighbours are ok with. If i had two speakers that incorporated the subs involved they would weigh 250 pounds each . A four way system tri amped is far and few between and i dont think manufacturers are willing to sit on them hoping someone will buy them before some fancy pants gives them a thumbs down. Everything is a seasoned to taste affair . Pick your components and turn your obtainable mains into monsters for a much more realistic concert experience. Or bump them up a little bit in low listening levels to make the sound fuller .
One benefit of of more subs is the ability to run them all lower . Less buzzing . Less distortion . 
Post removed 
steakster,

Subs in corners, since they couple to two walls, typically results in a 3 db+ bass boost.   It sounds like you're making the right moves, keeping your subs way from the corners and controlling the effects of a suspended floor, to keep the bass clean and accurate, detailed, smooth and natural.   

Enjoy,
 Tim
Hello brskie,

I’d suggest going with the Treo and 1-4 moderately sized subs would definitely be the more versatile option when compared to a pair of Quatros with no subs. I’ve never compared the Treos to the Quatros by themselves but I’m still fairly certain that either’s overall performance would be improved with even just a pair of well positioned subs. I maintain this opinion even though I’m aware the Quatros have built in powered subs and claimed bass extension down to 24 Hz +/- 2 dB.
     The main issue, from my perspective, is that these are both floor standing tower speakers and that virtually every owner is going to position them in their rooms so that the optimum midrange/treble response and stereo imaging is attained at the designated listening seat.
     The bass drivers are just along for the ride, located in the room a matter of inches or feet directly below the midrange and treble drivers. The apparent assumption that this positioning will also provide optimal bass performance at the listening seat is highly unlikely bordering on fat chance and no way.  I believe it’s a distinct and very significant advantage to have independently positioned bass producing drivers in virtually any room and any system.
     I even suspect that a pair of Treos, combined with a $2,800 Audio Kinesis Swarm 4-sub distributed bass array(dba) system, would outperform a pair of Quatros without additional sub assistance. It’s also very possible a pair of Treos, combined with just a pair of good quality and well positioned subs (a used pair of Vandersteen 2wq subs for example), could outperform a pair of Quatros without additional sub assistance when judged from the designated listening seat.
     I should mention I highly respect the Quatros along with Vandersteen speakers in general and my intention is not to disparage them. It’s just that I know, through research and personal experience, the near sota bass response attainable with at least two and up to four good quality, well positioned and properly configured subs in virtually any room and system. I think a pair of Treos combined with a Swarm type bass system, at a combined price new of about $9,800, would be an excellent performer and a unique audio bargain.

Best wishes,
Tim