Bass management with stand alone preamps

In researching an upgrade to separate preamp from an av pre pro (marantz 8802a) I’ve noticed that 1) most include no bass management 2) some include dual preouts but no bass management 3) some have a basic sub preout but no bass management.    Are subs not popular in the two channel arena?  I know in years past they were considered anathema but like every other issue in society views seem to have changed.  Interested in how people typically integrate and if NOT running the mains with a high pass filter is common.  Seems part of the point is to take that out of the amp and speaker and direct all that effort to the sub. If this has been beaten to death in another thread feel free to redirect. I have JL F212V2 subs which don’t have high level connections like REL appears to have.  
esthlos13
Esthlos, The receivers and Blu Ray players are aimed at theater folks and the DACs and Preamps are aimed at Audio folks.  
Esthlos13,

Great question about HDMI...

The new spec coming for next year is 2.1 which deals with passing 8K for video.  There are other factors involved, but that is the primary.  You can explore it at:

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx  

Keep in mind; Video (TV's) will get the new chipsets put in for 8K TV's first - that's somewhat happening now.  Next will be the source components.  And, finally, the receiver manufacturers will get them last, which as of right now for them, sets around summer of next year when the chipsets become available and that means new receivers will start getting them in the fall/winter 2020 and/or first two quarters of 2021.  

A big reason why higher end manufacturers don't put in HDMI even (Audio Related) is because of the challenges of units talking to one another, the (EDID), and with all the variations of HDMI out there between different brands of products, it can simply pose a lot of problems down the road.  

The single biggest reason is; that in order to have access to the latest chipsets, manufacturers have to buy a certain MOQ (minimum order quantity).  It doesn't have anything to do with how much you're willing to spend or can spend, they simply don't care, it's about volume.  There are only like two or three companies you can deal with overseas to get these chipsets.  That's why many products come out of the same factory (Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer, Denon/Marantz, Arcam, Anthem in one, not necessarily all those brands together, but another factory with Sony, Yamaha, etc.).  Each manufacturer designs things to there own specification, but there in lies the other major issue.  If you want the latest HDMI, you can't just purchase them and they send them to you, it means you have to build that piece of gear overseas in their factory - which higher end products don't want and will not do. 

If there is HDMI in higher end pieces, it's only because it's finally been available long enough to where anyone can purchase them which means they are older and could have issues.  Manufacturers have to forecast how many units they think they can build and sell and have to purchase extra because they aren't really "repairable", they have to be replaced.  When manufacturers spend a year or more in development of a piece of gear, whatever the piece is, and then know they're going to get older HDMI chipsets, it's hard to come to market with a piece that's essentially become a boat anchor the day it launches.

I hope that clears up a bit of the confusion around HDMI?  I've also read a lot of misinformation in this thread about room correction and bass management.  If you have any questions in regards to that, please don't hesitate to reach out in a direct message. 

Thanks,
Chris
Thanks for that write up, that’s pretty interesting. I’ve seen at least two companies, McIntosh and PS Audio , come out with their own proprietary methods of passing DSD to their own equipment. I’m guessing this is not an easy thing to do , but it’s interesting there hasn’t been a Linux-type standard that breaks the rules within the rules being put out there for others to use. 
Thanx Chris. This is the kind of thing that happens when there is not a strict industry standard. It seems the only standard here is the plug and jack. Planned obsolescence. Now everyone has to buy a new TV and player to stay up to date. Chris, is any of this backwards compatible?  
it’s interesting there hasn’t been a Linux-type standard that breaks the rules within the rules being put out there for others to use.
+1  big fan of Linux