Ingress Audio Engineering

I recently discovered the benefits of isolation. Don't know how many of you are familiar with Barry Diament's  recommendations for his hip joints. The recommendation for the economical DIY set up worked well for my stereo; (lightly inflated bike innertubes, wooden egg holders supporting stainless steel balls).

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

A month ago I bought Isoacoustic Oreo's. 3 per component (weight appropriate) and was very impressed...at first. After several days of settling my music sounded dull and lifeless. I reread the optimal weight recommendations, re-calibrated weight limits with temporary improvements. To my disappointment I realized the Oreo's could only be compressed (especially after the suction seal was formed between them and the component or platform the component sat on). Sure they rocked in all directions, but they didn't glide in all directions. Only horizontal isolation was taking place so I coupled the Oreo's with Barry's economic hip joints which has greatly improved the SQ. I'm loving it but I still feel there's room for improvement. Mainly because I own the Hfiman HE-6SE HP's and I run them through my power amp's speaker taps. So I want Barry's upgraded hip joints under my amp. I'm interested in Ingress Audio's vibration isolation rollerblocks.

http://www.ingress-engineering.ca/products-and-services.php
I've looked up info about their level 2's and 3's but specifics on their differences aren't given. I know Barry says the blocks should be machined smooth to a certain degree. I left a message with Ingress, but I'm impatient and wondering if perhaps the level 2's aren't as smooth as the 3's. The smoother, the greater the improvements. My question is does anyone know the differences between their Level 2 and Level 3 rollerblocks?
mewsickbuff
Like I said, (I) read these forums to learn. So what’s the answer @geoffkait? I’ll take a stab, increases wow, hum and/or flutter? (shrug). Enlighten me :)@elizabeth dirt cheap is ALWAYS welcome!
Dirt cheap? This is hi-end audio NOTHING is dirt cheap! But for $125 for a set of 3 and the increase is SQ this IMO is dirt cheap,

Geoff's excellent post has refreshed my memory. The concept of the roller bearing is a compromise between maximum isolation capabilities, and practical considerations. A set of three ball bearings between two flat, very hard, very smooth surfaces would provide the maximum isolation possible. Those surfaces could be the bottom of the component to be isolated (or something harder and smoother than it, onto which the component is placed---no rubber feet; put something with no compliance between the component bottom and the surface. Barry Diament recommends ceramic tiles, available for pennies at home stores) and another flat, hard, smooth surface (again, that could be a ceramic tile). But that would make possible the component sliding right off the rack or shelf it is sitting on.

For practical considerations, a pair of bowl-shaped structures are used in place of the flat ones; the bowl of course makes the component sliding off the ball bearings impossible. Now, the shallower the incline in the bowl, the better the isolation. When the ball bearings are presented with vibrations, they move microscopically, being forced to climb the incline of the bowl. The bowls' incline thwarting the movement of the ball bearings creates damping, a thing very different from isolation. So, the shallower the bowl, the gentler the incline, and the greater the isolation. That's why the larger bowl carved into the Ingress cups makes them superior in design to the Symposium.

The original Symposium Roller Block used cups on only the bottom, with the ball bearing in each of the three cups contacting the flat surface of the component to be isolated (Symposium makes little stainless steel plates for use under components, for the ball bearing to slide across). The Roller Block Jr. (and the original Ingress) used a cup on both the bottom and top, the ball bearing keeping them apart from one another. Barry's Hip Joint design called for a bowl on only the bottom, for maximum isolation. A cup on the top does, however, provide insurance against the component sliding of the bottom cup. If you want to play it safe, go with the double-bowl design.

The degree of hardness and smoothness of the bowl also effects its' isolation capabilities, the harder and smoother the better. That's why the 7075 aluminum of the Ingress V.2 and V.3 is superior to those made of the softer 6061. The V.2 and 3 all also polished with finer grit than other bearings.

As for cost, the bearings are sold in sets of three. Those sets are far cheaper than even one footer offered by other companies making isolation products. I agree with @rsf507, they ARE dirt cheap!

Post removed