My experience adding subwoofers to 2 channel

My Kappa 9 speakers are rated to 29hz and they sound pretty good in my 18x24 room...powered by McIntosh mc1.25 amps...l was looking for another layer of bass to enhance the sound..my first experiment l took my SVS pb16 ultras from my theater room and tried them first...it sounded terrible,didn't blend well..couldn't hear a difference until you turned in up then it rattled the room apart........my final experiment worked..l used 4 Velodyne minivee subwoofers(1000 watt rms class D sealed 8 in.) and after hours of calibration l hit it......lve got the bass response that exeeded my expectations. ....l should have done this along time ago....can anybody tell me of another subwoofer that may work even better?
128x128vinnydabully
Vinny, did I mention you've gone and done it?
You've made your purchase and the well meaning suggestions just keep on rollin' in. 
Subwoofing is getting popular...

Tim, actually I'm more impressed than thrilled by the economy and positive user comments regarding your DBA Swarm system. You have created a user friendly solution to an often ill informed segment interested in true full range listening. 

I've misplaced a list compiled a few years back of recordings that contain ELF below 20Hz. My Mastering acquaintance in SoCal describes spending great amounts of time mastering the ELF for many of his customers. He's using modified Duntechs/Danley Sound Labs setup for playback. I'm sure we've all heard some of his work misrepresented while driving around.  
jtcf:
"Unpacked the second set of subs this morning and fired em up.I haven’t fussed with finding perfect placement yet but it’s sounding really good already.The room is energized in a way that I can actually feel it on my skin.Not boomy or overblown whatsoever.Acoustic and electric bass sounds more natural and three dimensional.It’s one of those moments where I just relax and know that this is the way it’s supposed to feel.Like when you find the perfect compliment of tubes for your amp or get your speakers positioned perfectly.Sigh...there it is.
I was happy with the two subs but this is definitely a step up."

Excellent, welcome to the  DBA system sota bass response club, jtcf! I know exactly how you feel, it really is like a revelation the first time you hear the stunning quality and integration of the bass produced by a good 4-sub DBA system in your system, with your music and in your room.
It really makes me wonder why this concept isn’t more widely known of and utilized, especially by Audiogon members.

Congratulations,
Tim

Thanks Tim!It really is pretty amazing:)I think a lot of people don't take it seriously when they first run across the concept.At first glance it doesn't seem to make any sense.The more I researched the more convinced I became.I really believe that multiple subs and room treatments are necessary to get the best out of a music system in moderate sized rooms.
m-db:
"Tim, actually I'm more impressed than thrilled by the economy and positive user comments regarding your DBA Swarm system. You have created a user friendly solution to an often ill informed segment interested in true full range listening. "

Hello m-bd,

Thank you, but I didn't create the excellent DBA system solution.  All the credit belongs to Dr. Earl Geddes, Dr Floyd Toole, Todd Welti, Duke Lejeune plus probably others I'm unaware of that also made contributions to the concept. 
     My contribution was just to have the dumb luck to give the Audio Kinesis Debra 4-sub DBA system a try and almost immediately recognize how extraordinarily well it actually performed.
     The first time I experienced the quality of the bass reproduced by the 4-sub Debra DBA system and how seamlessly the bass integrated with my main speakers, I sincerely felt it was a revelation and an awakening to actually hear and physically feel this level of bass quality and integration with my music, on my system and in my room.  
     Initially, all I wanted to do was enjoy my significantly upgraded system for hours upon hours on musical and ht content while constantly reminding myself how fortunate I was to have this DBA in my system.  4 years later, I'm still enjoying it just as much.

After a few weeks of first experiencing the DBA's extraordinary bass performance, I came back to earth enough to be perplexed about why it took so long for me to learn of the DBA concept and why more Audiogon members apparently weren't aware of and utilizing DBA systems.
     At this point, I felt an obligation to get the word out about how exceptionally well this DBA system concept actually performed in my system/room and how it was likely to perform at least equally well in others' systems.  
     So, I began by starting an Audiogon thread on the DBA concept linked to below: 

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/anyone-else-using-an-audio-kinesis-swarm-or-debra-distributed...

I've also been trying to get out the word on the effectiveness of DBAs by consistently trying to post responses on threads on this site concerning the use of subs, such as this thread extolling their virtues.  I'm not sure how successful I've been but I'm going to keep trying to spread the word.  I  find it very difficult to overstate how well the DBA system actually performs in my system, know it will do the same in any system regardless of the room and the main speakers used and believe it's too good of a bass solution not to eventually be well known and widely utilized. 

Tim
Erik squires is right , proper calibration ,and a  high quality sealed sub is allways 
more accurate then the same size in a ported ,or passive radiator model.
buy a usb Mike, and this free program   http://www.roomeqwizard.com
And just spend a little Time to get to learn it .with the excellent SVS app
you can accurately tune the bass in any room.