Calling all Vandersteen Fans

A little over a year ago I owned he 1Cis for a short time. While I enjoyed many aspects of the speaker, I found their top-end was a bit ripe and sibilant, with multiple amps. I ended up having to attenuate the treble by 1.5db in order to enjoy them at all.

Lately I've been thinking about how well those speakers produced a realistic decay of instruments, the likes of which I haven't encountered in any other speakers. I'm wanting to give Vandersteens another chance and am considering the 2CE SigIIs, however, it appears they and the 3As have the same tweeter as the 1Cis. That and the measurements in the Stereophile review give me pause. I suppose it could be that I didn't allow the 1Cis enough break-in, or that I was actually hearing upper midrange distortion from their 8" midbass driver

I'm soliciting input from those very familiar with the brand. Would you say the 2 Sig IIs produce a warmer balance than the 1Cis? Do they in-fact share the same exact tweeter? 

Is a 100 watt/ch amp enough to drive 2CEs to satisfying levels in a 26×15' room?

helomech
I had the 1s decades ago, and am loving my 2Cs for the past several years. Driven them with a Denon (100W/ch), Krell (150W/ch/8 ohms/300W/ch/4 ohms) and currently a Vincent (150W/ch/8 ohms/300W/ch 4 ohms). Clipping never happened, the only difference being the sound quality markedly improved going to a better amp. I don't know what levels you consider satisfying, but at what I consider satisfying, (peaks of 85-90 dB), I would say you should be ok with 100W/ch. Last but not least, did I mention I LOVE my 2Cs?

Tom
Love my ancient 2C's, too. Vandy stuff is getting too $$. The Treos just increased by $600 over the past year or so :(
Love my ancient 2C's, too. Vandy stuff is getting too $$. The Treos just increased by $600 over the past year or so :(
Costs go up, especially with a 'trade war'. Also, Mr. V. might be using some new parts that are more expensive.
@OP,
If you found the 1ci's 'sibilant' with many amps, I would say you may have a room treatment issue.
B
I have 3A Sigs, and I don’t perceive any sibilance whatsoever.  Ayre front end (details on system page).  I think the only major differences between the current 2 and 3 are the cabinet volume and the low frequency driver. 
I've never owned the 1's, but heard the 2ci's at a NYC audio show in 1989 and the music was magical -- it just sounded "right" to me.  So saved up my pennies and purchased a pair.  Still remember moving them to my small apartment via 5 blocks via hand truck through Manhattan from the old Sound by Singer as I was way too poor to afford shipping.  Thirty years later I've gone from those to 2ce Sig to original Quattro to the Quattro CT's and now looking forward to hearing the upcoming Kento's.  

Agree w/most of above posters, I didn't perceive what I would describe as sibilance in the highs in the 2's -- but going to the much more expensive Quattro CT's did provide what I'd describe as a more open/extended upper range.  I suspect that you'll find the 2's or 3's will be provide a "warmer" balance and probably fuller sound than the 1's but still retain the wonderful mid's.  Might also consider auditioning with a tube pre-amp and/or power amp (?).  

Can also add a 'thumbs up' to Hifi Buys in Atlanta if in the Southeast region.  Good luck!