Big systems - Little rooms

I enjoy browsing the Virtual Systems posted online here ( and have posted my own).  I am puzzled , however, by the too common practice of placing large ( and usually expensive) speakers into very tight confines, often less than a foot from the front wall and barely more from the side walls.  Presumably the sitting position is likely against the back wall.  Many of these systems also have significant power and expensive source components.  While I may be as susceptible as most to upgradeitis, I have tried to give some recognition to the size of my listening space in my equipment selection.  Have I overlooked some new approach to managing room acoustics, or are most speakers not as sensitive as some articles describe to position within the room.  It would otherwise seem that these systems might benefit from  a bit of downsizing to achieve superior sound imaging.
sjtm
Only thing you may have overlooked is the fact that many people have more money than, uh, room.
As one of the individuals with a system such as you describe you make a fair point. But if you a) select speakers that are designed to be used relatively close to the rear wall (e.g. no rear ports), and b) design and treat the room for such use (i.e. bass traps built into the walls etc) then it can work well. I suspect the latter would meet the characteristics of "some new approach to managing room acoustics" that you refer to. 

In particular as it is very easy to treat the wall behind the listener so having the listening seat up against the rear wall should never be an issue.

The opposite -- cavernous spaces with multiple reflecting surfaces, is also very common especially given the trends in US interior design (i.e. open concept) and can be equally if not more problematic

I currently have a pair of Klipsch KLF-30 speakers in my bedroom.  They're almost right up against the wall, only about 5 - 6 feet apart, they are pointed right at my bed, the room has wood paneling and no acoustic treatment. 

They sound terrific!  Do they sound their best?  Not by far. 

I'm trying to sell them and wanted to keep using them until I do.  Once I do, my Canton Vento Reference 9 DC monitors will go back in there.  They are probably "too big" for that room even, but they're better suited for that space.
Yep, it's a pet peeve of mine as well. One JBL super monitor room i saw barely fit the speakers against the wall. In another, hundreds of thousands of dollars of McIntosh gear in absolutely abominable placement.

You can treat a rear wall, but deadening it entirely so you have no ill effect from close placement is very hard to do. Also, I've not seen this. I usually see poor acoustics, massive speakers, and small spaces. Ugh.

I mean,yes, I get the desire for a full sized, 4 tower Infinity Reference Standard, I do, but in a closet? Come on!!