Soundstage disappeared!?

Not sure what happened but this weekend while listening to my system, during a song I noticed the bass went neutral & the instruments disappeared into the back of the room? Up until that time, when I played music it was if I was in the room, concert hall, etc. with the musicians. Not anymore.

The 411 on my system is:

Pioneer PD-F606 CD Player

Pioneer SG9800 EQ

Denon DRA-335R tuner

Audience Ohno Interconnects

16/2 stranded copper speaker wire

8 speakers (8 ohm) Pioneer, Kenwood & Technics

This weekend I'll be able to swap out components to identify the source of the problem but wanted to get you guys opinions on what could be the problem. I'm leaning towards the tuner but will admit I'm electrically incompetent. If it's the tuner, what happened? If it's the equalizer, what happened? Did the speakers crossover? I hope you guys have some way to send me that I haven't already thought of.

Thanks in advance

vista1868
vista1868 writes:
 while listening to my system, during a song I noticed the bass went neutral & the instruments disappeared into the back of the room...
8 speakers (8 ohm) Pioneer, Kenwood & Technics

Did you really connect 8 speakers to just the one reciever? If so then you could easily have a low ohm situation that tripped a protective circuit. But then I don't understand "the back of the room." Are a couple speakers connected to something else?
@Eric  Yes I did. The clarity, etc. is there but the sound of being in the concert hall now sounds like I'm listening in a bar with bad acoustics. 

@Miller carbon yes 8, because they were there from my A/V system & I figured hell give it a go & the system has been doing quite fine for almost a year. I can't turn it to loud without the wife complaining. If it's a protective circuit, where would I begin looking for it?
Is it possible you have one speaker connected out-of-phase? try reversing the polarity of just one speaker by swapping red and black wires.