Best multi channel amp and processor good for 2 channel listening.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have a few questions in reference to HT processors.  I am starting from scratch and switching from a Krell S-1000 and S-1500.  I sold the processor a few months back and I going to list here the amp.

I am currently considering the new Bryston 9B3 and the SP4 and decision was based on upgrade ability and warranty. The speakers for HT will be Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home and for 2 channel Verity Otello’s.  My second choice was Classe but I was informed that they have all sales on hold, this is concerning.  I have not listened to either, my choice is based on reviews and the Bryston dealer.  My decision was also based they are both good for two channel, I am not set on this but it will help the budget and space.  I am looking for a warm and good over all sound; some might say 3 dimensional sound, clarity is also a factor.  Actually, all I’ve read in reference to Classe fits the bill.  I would like a couple of other choices to include in my short list and opinions are welcome. The budget for the processor and amp is approx. 22k.  

Thanks to all.....
maguiar
Post removed 
Maguiar yes the 2500R is $12k retail, our best advice would be to seek out the correct product first, rather than shopping based on what is available on the secondardy market.

Very rare to find a used 2500 R most dealers don't sell their demos the only used ones were from Sunny components and those pieces are so old many of them don't have any factory warranty left and very few customers sell there T+A gear, the brand makes keeper products.

We would of coursse work with you if we have products that you would want to get. 

Personally the Plinius Oden pllus the Audio Control with a good analog preamp would be one fantastic HT and 2 Channel Music rig

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ T+A dealers
A little off topic but auxinput, what would be the earlier generation Marantz processors that you would recommend that have the quality/voicing characteristics of the Marantz AV8805?
Hi Maguiar,

Those are all great integrateds, each with a their own sound signatures.  For me, the Luxman was the biggest bang for the buck, not only did I like the sound and matching with my ML 11As, it was the cheapest by a couple thousand.  Also, I really like that it's completely analog with less chance of something going wrong (like touch controls, DAC board, etc.).

I really like the Marantz, it's well build and has the Denon/Marantz A/V engineering, firmware updates, reliability, and features.  In my opinion they have mastered the A/V side of things.  You pretty much setup and it works, with firmware updates coming in somewhat regularly.  It is one of the few processors that has all the latest surround support (ATMOS, IMAX, etc.). With the Marantz you get discreet analog output boards as well.  Sound quality is fantastic, particularly with movies.  It tends to be on the warmer side for music.

I don't know much about the Audio Control Maestro, other than it's a tweaked Arcam, so I imagine you are reliant on Arcam's firmware updates.  All are amazing products in terms of sound quality.  It comes down to which room correction and features.  One thing to note, I have seen Arcam crash during demos, but in all honesty that could have just been random one offs.
Ezzigy, actually it is not a tweeked Arcam.

As per Integrated amplifiers if you hear a PA 2500R you would most likely prefer it to the Luxman. 

T+A is a much larger company with far greater engineering resources then Luxman, the Luxman products are excellent but the T+A gear is really surprising.  The 2500R uses a novel switch mode power supply to run a high output Class A/B amplifier stage running on high voltage rails, the High Voltage rail design helps create a more tube like sound. 

Their is a speed and dyanmic impact with the 2500R that you just don't generally hear too often, the amplifier also carves out a huge soundtage.

In our shop over the years we have had a lot of top integrated amplifiers from Luxman, Coda, Norma, Hegel and many others none of them were close to offering the unique combination of speed, detail, soundstage, bass impact, dynamic punch and a flowing midrange that you get out of the 2500R

Would I trade in one for the other the answer is no, but we would have loved to see your impressions. 

The power output of the 2500r is 140 watts 8 ohm, 280 4 ohm, 520 watt 2 ohm loads all out of a compact chassis. 

Arcam and Audio Control worked together to design all of the current line of Arcam surround products, as the original Arcam HDMI boards were failing miserably in the fileld after a few years hence they turned to Audio Control whose equipment is sold to custom installers building very expensive Home Theaters.

Audio Control is seen as a state of the art HT pre/pro for the music concious user and one who doesn’t need more than a 9.2 and is concerned more with sound quality then features.

Audio Control is an indendent manufacturer who started first building high end car audio before braching out and over the years have designed all their own amplifiers and processors.

The Maestro M9 weighs a staggering 40lbs based on a massive power supply and features all independent burr brown dac chips the comparable Arcam processor weighs 25 lbs and use a single dac chip for all channels.

Arcam builds class G amplifiers Audio Control builds Class H both of these amplfier designs use two voltage rails the more difficult to build is the Class H design which use a more advanced circuit to anticipate the need for the higher voltage rail and accomplish the transition.

Over the years we have had the Anthem Statement D2V, the Anthem AVM 60 and the Marantz 8801A and the Audio Control sounded far better than any of them.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Audio Control