Can anyone hear the difference when you add REL subwoofers when playing two channel

I wonder if anyone else has had problems hearing a difference when adding REL subwoofers to their two channel systems?  I have gone back to a reputable dealer in town to listen to a pair of Vienna Acoustic Mozart's paired with a REL S3 and I couldn't detect a difference when they added and subtracted the REL.  I wonder if this was because the Vienna Acoustic Mozart's are already can extend down to 30 Hz.  I have also read reviews on the Mozart's and they said one of their criticisms was they felt the Mozart's to be too boomy in the bass.  

The dealer keeps telling me I am expecting to hear a more punchy pounding bass sound and that is not what I should be listening to.  He keeps saying I should be listening for greater depth and space to create a larger sound stage.  He went on to say if I had a subwoofer that delivered too much bass, they would eventually drive me out of the room and spoil my enjoyment of listening to music.  I thought I had sensitive ears to sound, but in this case I wonder if I am tone deaf.  My fear is getting a pair of T/9i's in my home and my wife telling me I wasted our money because she could not hear a difference. 

There must be a reason why so many dealers have told me their first pick would be a REL because they are so musical.

I also question why REL manufactures their subs with such low wattage?  For example, their S3 delivers only 400 watts and their T/9i's deliver just 300 watts.  When comparing them to  subwoofers like JL, which deliver 750 watts to $1500 watts, maybe REL subwoofers are just too wimpy.
128x128larry5729
One Rel T9i absolutely rocks my friends 13’x14 room!  Bass that you can feel and hear as well.  Nice defined bass that adds a ton of dimensionality.

My brother picked up a pair of Sumiko S9’s for $1100 from Wally at Underwood HiFi and paired to the same Kef LS50 wireless as my friend with the Rel T9i and they are okay...  room dimensions, flooring material, and placement will play a huge role in how your Rel, or any sub for that matter, will sound.

When setting up the Rel, you should be able to tell just a slight difference in sound.  Fuller, more air and dimensionality, etc.  I can actually hear the difference a Rel makes to vocals, which seems strange to me, but I think there are many underlying deep bass notes that we don’t miss because we don’t know that they are even there, until they are.

I think you’d be happy with either a pair of T9i’s or Sumiko S9’s.  I usually prefer 2 subs over 1 since they seem to be easier to integrate in my experience.  But then again, that 1 Rel T9i absolutely rocks my friends smaller living room in a way I’ve never heard a home stereo sound.  Its quite engaging.

Post removed 
@lalitk  

dimensionality, air, presence and texture.  

You mean made up terms? 

REL sells a $1200 10” that is -6dB at 28Hz, that’s insanely laughable. 

If aesthetics/size isn’t an issue, a Rythmik FV15HP is the same price and a much better subwoofer. It has group delay below 1cycle, a pretty good spectral decay, and passes CEA2010 THD limits if restrained to 104dB from 16Hz and up. 

Here’s the frequency response of the REL T5, $600 and you can’t even get a neutral response, such a shame. 

Here’s an HSU sub as a comparison

Frequency response linearity isn’t everything, but I expected more. 
@mzkmxcv,

So you actually have no real experience with any of the subs you criticize or endorse....should I pay heed to someone who peddles his opinions based on measurements posted on intranet or someone who actually have tried and tested the equipment....hmm take a wild guess 😉
@mzkmxcv &  @lalitkm,

I have heard a 10" SVS sealed at a friend's house paired with a pair of NHT's and with his Anthem room correct software, I was unable to detect the subwoofer.  I know this is what you want.  He set his sub perpendicular to his right front tower about 5 feet in front.  However, most audiophiles do not consider SVS to be an audiophile subwoofer.  I hear good things about JL, but I don't think I like how they work by taking over the woofers to produce bass extension.  I have heard great things about Rhythmik and their Servo technology sounds similar to REL's Speak On technology.  What I don't want is a pounding bass to drive me out of the room.  My primary focus is musicality, as I probably watch movies in 5.1 Dolby only about 30% to 40% of the time.  I respect your input.