Simple question about Rega planar 3

Hi

i have two simple question

1.what is maximum cartridge weight i can install on Rega planar 3 with default counterweight ?
2.if i install dynavector XX-2 Cartridge do i need shim ? if yes what thickness ?

Thanks in advance 
carlporter
I don't think you should have any issue with the cartridge weight with default counterweight.  I can make a few comparisons to when I had a properly set up Ortofon 2M Bronze on a P3.  The XX-2 weighs 8 grams and Bronze weighs 7.2 g.  There was still plenty of VTF adjustment headroom at 7.2 g to accommodate 8 g.  

The XX-2 cartridge height from stylus tip to cart mounting surface is 18.7 mm and the Bronze is 18 mm.  This one is a little trickier to reflect on because my tone arm was perfectly parallel with the Bronze so I'm not sure if the extra 0.7 mm will make a significant difference.

You could pick this up for $15 if needed.

https://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-2mm-Spacer-for-RB250-300-600?_vsrefdom=adwords&msclkid=1b85cca...
Vinylengine.com has all the Rega info. The dealer you purchased the cart from should at least have knowledge of advising on such an inappropriate match.

IMO, a little much for the P3. A P8 and minimum $2k phonostage for that level of cart is what’s needed to extract the performance of a cart that level.

You are aware your phonostage must have at least 65db of gain for the cart?

If I owned the P3, I wouldn’t consider anything over the 20X2.

Apologies for the buzz kill.