Spendor D7, D9 but no love Classic 100?

I see plenty of recommendations floating around recent threads for the D7 and D9, but nary a mention of the Classic 100.  I wonder why.  Are no dealers stocking it for demo?

Last summer I was able to audition extensively the Classic 100 vs. the D7 in same system, same room, same afternoon, same music.  The 100 came out on top by some margin.  Just a much more natural sound.  Never heard the D9 but I imagine it's cut from the same cloth, but goes deeper.  The Classic 100 was lively, exciting, dynamic, but also harmonically full and rich and never threadbare.  In contrast, there was something in particular about the D7 treble range that made me uncomfortable.  As always, YMMV, and indeed, it probably already has.

128x128twoleftears
there was something in particular about the D7 treble range that made me uncomfortable

I’ve encountered this same criticism a few times, even from a Spendor dealer. I was told the D-line is Spendor’s interpretation of a modern studio monitor.

I haven’t heard the newest Classic 100s, but their predecessors, the SP100s, are still reference-grade speakers IMO. In fact, even among speakers costing upwards of $30K, I’ve yet to encounter any that I think are superior overall. Very few speakers, if any, manage such a wide array of talents. And most are tonally inaccurate in comparison (in my opinion of course).

If you want the sound of SP100s/Classic 100s in a smallish floorstander, get the A7s. My dealer thinks they’re as close as it gets without buying the new Classic range. I did get to hear the new A4s in the same room where I heard the SP100s. Aside from bass output, I think I’d be hard-pressed to discern a difference in a blind listen. That makes the A4s sort of a great bargain IMO.

If you’ve fallen for the Classic Spendor sound, I’m afraid there’s really no substitute outside of the new A-line, at least not that I’ve heard. And no, the Harbeth sound is not very similar.
I recently auditioned the A7.  I have a pair of SP1 at home and found the A7 much more dynamic, but lacking the sweet golden tone of the SP1.  I have found the SP1 very much dependent on amplifiers.  Originally ran it with a Harman Kardan and its was dull and boring.  Got better with my Rega Brio, but came to life with a Leben cs600.  Its only weak point is still not so dynamic with classical music.

@salectric The Classic 100 is the model name for the latest iteration of the SP-100.  Effectively it=the Mk3.

@three_easy_payments. Agreed, but the Classic 100 and the D7 were what were in the store.  I think people looking at the D9 should at least think about the Classic model.

@helomech The Classic top-to-bottom had more body, more oomph, and then as I say there was something in the D7 treble range, which I presume is the same in the D9, that didn't sound right, especially after hearing the 100.

Bought my S100’s new in 1990. I’ve owned various solid state and tube pre-amps and amps, the speakers have always sounded superb! Some, noting this ’universally’ good sound, regardless of (most) associated gear, suggest an artificial euphonic ’voicing’. I don’t know anything about any of that. All I know is that if this is wrong, I don’t wanna be right!;) BTW, the OP started the thread saying he never sees the big Spendors mentioned around here. You might want to try a search as I know they’ve been mentioned through the years (I’ve been reading reviews and what-not for close to 30!)
The Classic series of old and the recent models are totally different in my opinion. So much so that instead of buying any of the recent versions of the 1/2 I waited patiently to buy a pair of the older 1/2e that I had owned several years previously as well. I find the Sterling LS3/6 to be more in line with what the older Classic series sounded like versus anything Spendor is making today. Spencer Hughes came up with some excellent designs and took advantage of main drivers that would cover quite a bit of the frequency range before crossing over and "lossy" cabinets to create that special sound.