Can anyone hear the difference when you add REL subwoofers when playing two channel

I wonder if anyone else has had problems hearing a difference when adding REL subwoofers to their two channel systems?  I have gone back to a reputable dealer in town to listen to a pair of Vienna Acoustic Mozart's paired with a REL S3 and I couldn't detect a difference when they added and subtracted the REL.  I wonder if this was because the Vienna Acoustic Mozart's are already can extend down to 30 Hz.  I have also read reviews on the Mozart's and they said one of their criticisms was they felt the Mozart's to be too boomy in the bass.  

The dealer keeps telling me I am expecting to hear a more punchy pounding bass sound and that is not what I should be listening to.  He keeps saying I should be listening for greater depth and space to create a larger sound stage.  He went on to say if I had a subwoofer that delivered too much bass, they would eventually drive me out of the room and spoil my enjoyment of listening to music.  I thought I had sensitive ears to sound, but in this case I wonder if I am tone deaf.  My fear is getting a pair of T/9i's in my home and my wife telling me I wasted our money because she could not hear a difference. 

There must be a reason why so many dealers have told me their first pick would be a REL because they are so musical.

I also question why REL manufactures their subs with such low wattage?  For example, their S3 delivers only 400 watts and their T/9i's deliver just 300 watts.  When comparing them to  subwoofers like JL, which deliver 750 watts to $1500 watts, maybe REL subwoofers are just too wimpy.
128x128larry5729
Post removed 
The Sumiko dealer I mentioned before is Paragon Sight & Sound. Sumiko isn't making subs any longer so the prices were low due to them being discontinued. I believe the Sumiko designed subs are now being made by Sonus Faber with a big price increase.  
In my experience having dual subwoofers (left/right channel) has made significant impact on the sound in terms of bass extension, depth of soundstage, air between instruments, etc.  Having said that, it does take some time to get it right.  Things such as placement in the room with respect to your main speakers, phase, low-pass filter, and volume settings all factor in so they blend in nicely with your main speakers.  When all is said and done, you really shouldn’t know the subwoofers are there, beyond the apparent soundstage enhancements.  Before you even start configuring subwoofers in your setup, make sure you have optimal speaker alignment first as well as seating position (should be where you have smoothest/even bass response.  I don’t have the fancy RELs, but own a pair of Definitive Technology Supercube I subwoofers.  Bass response is 13-200Hz and clock in at 1500W (more power than I need).  I’m always a little skeptical about in-store demos as things are probably not fully optimized.  From my perspective, it’s all worth the journey for getting better sound.
Gorm 
I have 2 rel. this is how you set up high level input:
make sure the yellow and the red are twisted together and going into the positive left on your amp and the black into negative left, and do the same on the right outputs. Put the crossover about sixteen clicks and the low level at about 10 clicks from zero. Play a track w repeating bass line. Lorde “tennis court” is a good one.Tune one sub at a time with the other sub off. First flip the phase button and whichever way sounds louder is probably the in phase for your setup. Work the crossover back toward zero until you like what you here. Work the bass level back to zero until the bass level matches the speakers but just kinda extends the bass response. Do the same on the other sub.  You’ll have bass that is on stereo and match’s and extends your speakers. Look for better soundstage and clearly better bass and midrange. Listen to sympathy for the devil, listen to the bass guitar, you can hear the guitar 🎸 not just the beat but the actual instrument, you can almost picture the strings being plucked. You can mentally picture where in the stage the bass player ( Bill Wyman?) is standing. Now your all set.

You can also run LFE input on the rel in conjunction w high level. If you have a surround processor w lfe out, this will go into the rel and should only come on with movies that have an lfe track.

MAKE SURE that your not running high level out into the REL and LFE out into the REL HIGH LEVEL INPUT at the same time. The sub out or lfe out on your amp needs to be input on the rel lfe input, not high level or you’d be defeating the purpose of true stereo bass extension. 

I hope this helps 
-ak
@larry5729  I'm not going to bother going to the REL site to check but I would be highly surprised (to put it mildly) if the T9/i puts out 300 "class A" watts.