how do you know if you need a dac ?

have always been into vinyl and recently decided to get out of it and bought a Ayre CX-7 cd player.    while it sounds just fine, I read in the forums about members getting dacs.         

how do you know if you need one or not ?

what benefit would one add if any ?
toyo18
“how do you know if you need a dac”

Answer: Only when you try an external DAC and the music sounds better. Make sure it’s returnable if it doesn’t.
@itzhak1969                      "  The Ayre CX-7 has also 2 xlr and unbalanced analog outputs,You should try them and see if the sound is better than the digital xlr you should use it instead"

Preamp is rca only, so if I wanted to try the xlr from the Ayre , would have to get the adapters.....and not sure if would make a difference ?   could try I guess.
I have the Ayre QB9 DSD DAC. I believe the DAC that Ayre uses in their CD Players is equal if not better sounding. Are you certain you can't use your CD player as a stand alone DAC as well? If not, I'd call Ayre.
@goofyfoot 

"  Are you certain you can't use your CD player as a stand alone DAC as well? If not, I'd call Ayre."

Can you explain that please , not sure I understand.    
toyo18, I know that Ayre made a high end CD player that could be connected to a computer and used as a stand alone DAC but I don't remember the model number of the CD player. Anyway, the DAC chip that was inside that CD player was their best, most analogue sounding DAC chip but it became discontinued because they were unable to acquire the parts. So my question pertains to whether or not you can connect your computer to your CD player?