Audible Illusions Tube Pre-Amp Hum- Help Diagnosing

Began getting a low-level hum from the pre-amp which stays at the same low volume no matter where volume pots are set.  Both channels are affected, although it seems to have begun in one channel (or maybe it had been more noticable in one channel, or maybe it was my imagination.)

Is this a tube thing, a ground thing, or some other issue?  

Would like to narrow down possibilities before tearing apart the installation and/or buying tubes or other things unnecessarily. 

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
jimbo3
I have a C-J that uses a 6922 tube.   I had the same symptom.  Replaced tube and it was quiet again.  Used Gold Lion 6922, excellent tube.  
Not sure whether this thread would still be seen. I have the same issue and if I mute the unit, the hum/hiss/buzz goes away. It is more of a static sound. I am going to try to take the tubes out and clean the socket with deoxit and see if that solves it.
(((It is more of a static sound. I am going to try to take the tubes out and clean the socket with deoxit and see if that solves it.)))

Don't gum up things inside there.
 unplug the unit from AC
 Just use compressed air.
 install a new set of 6 H 23 tubes if
you are still getting static after that install a better pair of shielded cables.
  Dont forget this unit inverts polarity swap both speaker wires at speakers.
Best JohnnyR
Does anybody care which model A I this is, its age, or how/where it was purchased from?

Tubes, cables, cleaning???!!!   Really?

Your attenuators are toast. A I insists they have a life span.

Questions for the A I experts here who've actually had this work done:
How much does A I currently charge for an attenuator assembly replacement?
How long does A I usually take to have this work done? 

Get rid of it like your hair's on fire because their next question will be, "wouldn't you like us to upgrade the entire unit for just $xxxx?
Yes?  "Oh just send us the check with your unit" 

Most other equally fine preamplifiers offer a single volume that will last a lifetime and can be set at ANY desired level you hear not by having to look at the dots on the knobs and a transformer that doesn't hum. 

Honestly jumbo, I really hope I'm wrong.