3 great tube preamps. Which would you purchase?

Hello,

I’m currently looking at a used VTL TL-5.5 Series II Stereo Tube Preamplifier
Don Sachs 65N7 Preamp (new), and last but not least LTA Microzotl Preamp - new. 

I like Ike the fact that the VTL has balanced outputs. Which the 65N7 and LTA Microzotl lack. 

My current amp - Bel Canto Ref500s. Has the option of XLR or RCA for input. I like the idea of going all balanced with my set up. 

Its not mandatory to have an all balanced system if one preamp lacks xlr outputs. It’s more of what will work best.  It’s a heavy investment for me. Regardless of which one I will purchase. I like to set it and forget it. Upgrading every couple of years is despised as much as clothing shopping. 

Price is not always indicative of quality. All three mentioned are great contenders imo. All fluctuate a bit in pricing. If anyone could chime in, stating which preamp they might prefer would be greatly appreciated. 

It’s a safe assumption all have their own sound signature. I’m looking to round off the class d sound a bit. It’s not overtly bright. Though I’ve heard the tube sound. I know it will be a game changer in conjunction with my current equipment.  Very curious to know what the communities take would be on this post. 

I have a very basic set up.  
MacBook Pro 
Dynaudio Special 40’s
Bel Canto Ref Link
Bel Canto 3.7 Dac
Bel Canto Ref500s / most recent build. 
interconnects, speaker cable, and power cords are holding up well. 

Turntable preamp to be determined in the future. 

My kind regards,

Jay. 

jred
@goldprintaudio Thanks for the suggestions regarding the Bel Canto amp---would the PS Audio Stellar GS DAC be a good fit as well? I've also heard good reviews about the Bel Canto and Rogue combo. Question: What interconnects work well with this combo? Or the PS Audio/BC combo? Thanks!
~DR
I am also on a very narrow path to find the right tube preamplifier for my class D monos from Merrill Audio that I just purchased a couple of months ago. The funny thing is every person I talk to gives a different response or direction to go, but I guess that is part of the journey that makes final result so worthwhile. I have tried to narrow the list down to as few as possible in the 4k used price range, here is what I came up with.

Rogue RP-7
Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme
Zesto Audio Leto 1.5

The RP-7 seems to be the best bang for the buck and most versatile for inputs/outputs functionality. Love the looks of the Zesto Leto 1.5 it is a piece of art, but also the most expensive. I know the Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme works well with the Merrills because the former owner also used one. I also need HT bypass which all of these fine preamps have. Little surprised that nobody has mentioned the Zesto Leto yet or even an Allinic L 1500. Happy hunting.
@jred,

I too have heard great things about Don Sachs gear and his Phono stage sounded wonderful in my system. I have the Micro ZOTL Preamp and It’s a keeper for life. There is no longer a start up thump, that was solved last year. The volume clicking really doesn’t bother me. I do my fine tuning volume adjustments in Jriver from my iPad anyway. I can’t really speak about the other pre’s you mentioned but the ZOTL blows away my old Audible illusions pre.
Forget about balanced outputs.  If they were meaningful, Don would design his preamp for them, but he feels RCA outputs are perfectly fine.
If you hear balanced line done right, there simply isn't any going back to single-ended. More detail, blacker backgrounds... One advantage of balanced operation is the interconnect cables between the preamp and amp won't be a big deal any more; if you've ever auditioned cables to get the best sounding one in your system you know what I'm talking about. You can also run longer distances as well, but that blacker background benefit is still there even if the connection is only 6 inches.

The thing is, there is a standard for balanced line, which many high end audio manufacturers don't seem to know about. Its called AES48. If you want the benefits of balanced line operation, make sure that you ask the manufacturer if their gear supports AES48.

Hey all!

So the journey has ended. Or it has just started? 

I went for the Herron VTSP-3A(r03) with the black face plate. Included gratis with the purchase — 6 newly tested Electro-Harmonix 6922EH tubes. 

The preamp is used of course. For my first foray into tube electronics it’s more than a great starter. 

Went for Keith’s IC’s.  Heck he designed em to work in conjunction with his electronics. PC - Nordost Red Dawn. 

Should be expecting this Friday. 

So with all of the great feedback I was contemplating on 

LTA Microzotl preamp. 
Backertlabs Rhumba 1.3
Rogue RP-7&9 - though a bit tough on the wallet. 

It was a difficult call. Though you have to go with your gut. 

I’ll keep you guys posted once all breaks in thoroughly. 

Thanks so much!! Couldn’t have pulled this one off - without all whom posted. All were great suggestions with a multitude of valid points. 

Sincerely,

J