Remote control of hidden components?

How do I control my gear with remote if it's hidden behind cabinet doors? HT novice so be kind.

Is there a device that plugs into the rear of the BDP, Receiver,... (isn't there an IR plug on the back?) and another part sits on top of cabinet? Something simple, not expensive. Then there's the four remotes I have also. There has to be an inexpensive solution for this without getting too complicated and messy.

Thanks
sakahara

Looks cool. Mines nothing like that. Just a plain room with low media console, hidden gear, table top LCR speakers, REL sub to one side, and soon to be wall mounted plasma. I'll have pictures later on.
Are all IR repeater/extenders and IR Universal Remotes compatible?

I was thinking to get an IR repeater/extender for now (URC, Harmony, Salamander,...) and then get a UR once I decide on one. They're not very expensive and i can live with the IR receiver device sitting in the open, or somewhat concealed.

The URC RF-20/MRF-100B Bundle is a good value, but there are a number of concerns with users feedback and I don't want to end up being one of those.
Which IR remote?

Something reliable and easy to program. Use with Harmony IR Extender System or Salamander IR Repeater.

URC:

WR7
R6
R50
R7

Logitech:

Harmony

Also considering Harmony 700 Advanced Universal Remote & IR Extender System Bundle.

Ordered Harmony 300 Remote and IR Extender System.

I was too overwhelmed being a total novice with this. Too many solutions with not enough answers and no experience. I have to start somewhere and gain some experience. May as well be the least expensive, idiot proof choice, and one I can return.

Meanwhile... where do I find the IR Code for my components (plasma, BDP,..etc)? I was trying to program my Marantz SR5004 remote to control those in the meantime. The manual just lists a bunch of IR Codes next to the manufacturer name (no models).

Also, with regards to the remote control jack on the back of the components; in the receiver manual it shows how you can connect "daisy-chain" Marantz components to control them from the receiver, but it also shows that an IR receiver can be connected to it as well (Input). Does that mean I can connect a cable from any IR receiver/extender to this input instead of using the emitter/blaster? Then all I'd need to do is connect one other emitter/blaster to the cable-box. Does that make sense? Will that work?
The Harmony IR Extender System works good. And the 300 remote was easy enough (novice, first universal remote) to program. But it's too limited with features/buttons even though I only have four devices. Only has "Watch TV" all in one command, can't set channel control for one device regardless of which device is active, only with volume, limited button commands even though it had my devices IR codes (except for SR5004, used SR6004 instead), and you can't see the buttons at night (no glow or backlight). Needs more common buttons (names) for A/V Receiver and BDP. Can't remember all of them. Doesn't have "DVR List" button either for what's been recorded.... Not quite there. Going to try Harmony 600 Remote.