Replacing Vintage Spendors is not as easy as I thought

I have a pair of 1989 era Spendor SP1 s and was thinking of updating them as I have heard of the vastly improved technology and materials used by current speaker manufacturers.  So off I have been listening to new speakers, many of which come advertised as natural sounding, or neutral etc. My search has been a bit constrained by my Leben tube amp which is a modest 32 watts. I have heard Harbeth, Aerial Acoustic, Devore, new Spendors, Totem and a few other brands all of which lack the natural vocal qualities of my SP1s.  Some are more dynamic but at the expense of more fatiguing treble.  I have limited my search to the 5000-7500 range but am coming up empty handed.  I am sure if I was ready to spend 15,000 +  I could find a good upgrade, but college tuitions preclude such an expenditure.  Anyone out there with any suggestions?
Thanks
MP
mpomerantz
Yeah, keep your speakers. Perhaps upgrading your source and/or cables would make more sense.
If you want to try something different - not British sound - I suggest you try Kharma. Used, new is too expensive. No idea how they would work with your amp, probably depends on model, you room, how loud you listen, what you listen to. But 32 good tube watts is not little.
I second jsautter above, what your ears are rejecting is the tweeter attack of contemporary speaker design.
Having said this, new Spendors 2/3 or the smaller Harbeths are an evolution of your own spkrs sound.
Otherwise, try the smaller ATC models, the SL 20 or the 40. Great midrange (as you’re used to hearaing)
Take a listen to the Vandersteen Treo CT
 I have a pair of 1989 spendorSP1s and understand what is engaging you.
Also, bring in your amp with you.
The Treo CT offers an exciting level of finesse that when used even with a 20WPC Quicksilver Tube amp their even-handed impedance load allowsTube amp's to perform well and have most scratching their head after a listen.  
 Best JohnnyR 
Give the Rega's a shot . Very natural, very musical , very liittle fatigue and easy to drive .
Lot's of great choices out there depending on your tastes.  I actually met AudioConnection when I wanted to upgrade my speakers to newer Proac's (I had Proac for over 20 years).  He forced me to listen to the Vandy Treo (not really forced, lol) and I fell in love. Surprised the heck out of me. They gave me what I love in the British speakers, but with more finesse as AC pointed out.