Reel to reel

I’m entertaining the idea of purchasing a reel to reel to record my albums on and also use to possibly soften the digital age a bit. Does anyone know where or if NEW blank tapes can be purchased? Are there any thoughts on a resurgence of R2R and if blank media will become more easily accessible?
128x128luvrockin
don't forget, 30ips half inch was the original standard on Ampex machines back in the early 1950s, 15 and 7.5 came later.

And yes, 30 ips is very nice. I have a few masters of 1/2 inch at 30 ips, and they do sound wonderful...The big drawback is 10.5 inch reels are not large enough to record more than a few tracks. Its about the same as running 7 inch reels at 15 ips. The tape goes quickly.

You really need 14 inch reels, which will hold 5000 feet of tape...or twice what a 10.5 reel holds. Only a few decks out there can handle 14 inch reels though.

and with 30 at 1/2 inch you also pick up quite a few  db of signal to noise improvement.

tomic601
2,520 posts
04-20-2019 12:45am
Anybody do the free experiment yet ?

tomic601, not sure what you are referring to... I enjoy a good experiment (as long as it's nondestructive to my gear) and free?  You have piqued my interest... Of what do you speaketh sir?