Question for Merlin VSM/ARS Sonum owners

Hi all,
What did you have (preamp/amp) before convert to one piece Filarmonia ?
Is this Filarmonia sound that good with VSM?
I currently run my VSM-MXe with Cary SLP-05 with Cary CAD-120S (both are Stereophile Class A rated if that matter) - My CD player is Cary 306-200 - Using Cardas Golden Ref balanced cable thru out system.
Wonderful sounding in short -
Now I have a thought of trying Filarmonia to save some rack space (1 vs 3), cable, and $$ as well
I would like to know what you have before ARS Sonum and your comments
TIA
Thuan
128x128thuan98
Bobby and the designer both make the claim that the Jan Phillips is the best NOS in the ARS, any reason to doubt their claim? Well as has been said, at least spend some time with the supplied tubes before jumping on the tube rolling trail.
I took Bobby advice to go back to Filar's original tubes, live with them for a month. Then I roll back with Amperex Bugle and PQ - I still prefer the Amperex sounding.
Like playing LP, you live with minor hum, click, pop but the analog sound is so rich compare to digital that people just forgive.
thuan, but how is the expanse? you had issues with it. the jan should sound wider and deeper and the amperex fuller more forward and closed in.
bobby
Hi Bobby,
Roll tubes did not affect the sound stage.
I follow your advice moving speakers 8ft apart and the seating 10ft from speakers - sound stage get wider and stereo separation is better than previous set up.
Now I need to "dial-in" final spot base on Jim Smith's instruction in "Get Better Sound" - It's time consuming :-)
I have tried E88CC from Telefunken and Siemens.. liked teles...then i read thuan98s views on amprex

i tried 1 Amperex 6922 PQ white label USA & 2 Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7 Holland and its wonderfully romantic...you will stop taping your feet insted get up and dance..thank you thuan98 for sharing your views in the forum

it is definitely better than the regular tubes (jj & philips) in fila by a big margin