Question for Merlin VSM/ARS Sonum owners

Hi all,
What did you have (preamp/amp) before convert to one piece Filarmonia ?
Is this Filarmonia sound that good with VSM?
I currently run my VSM-MXe with Cary SLP-05 with Cary CAD-120S (both are Stereophile Class A rated if that matter) - My CD player is Cary 306-200 - Using Cardas Golden Ref balanced cable thru out system.
Wonderful sounding in short -
Now I have a thought of trying Filarmonia to save some rack space (1 vs 3), cable, and $$ as well
I would like to know what you have before ARS Sonum and your comments
TIA
Thuan
128x128thuan98
Thanks all,
An used Fila SE is on its way to my door :-)
I'll report back
Thanks
Thuan
BTW:
I have some Amperex PQ 6922 white label from previous CJ pre - and I will roll with existing tube for sure
For E34L - not sure if I can roll with EL34 or 6CA7 since I have quite a few matched quad from my TAD60

Which name brand is best for these E34L ? How about 5814/12AU7 pair ?
Thanks
Thuan
Stick with the JJ EL34L (and I think you really need to stick with the "L"s though the standard 34s will work)and the Jan Phillips that come with the amp. The EL34Ls have quite a bit more bottom end the EL34s and the amp is voiced with that in mind.
the e34l is a much better sounding tube than the el34. and as for tube rolling, it is really doubtful that you will find a better sounding combination than what is there already. you will only make it sound different and imho, not better. the jan 5814 is a classic.
the e34ls must be a matched quad.
how old is the amp?

b
Hi all,
After 3 weeks of listen to my new Filar SE with stock tubes, here is my comments in comparing to my existing Cary SLP05/CAD120S:
Cary pair give more punch, body, and detail. Sound is rounder (?) even at low volume.
I would give 7/10. Now, I'm satisfy - ARS Sonum can do so much, but not miracle.
I'm keeping the Cary pair!