Record weights what type would be good for a Luxman PD171-A

I recently purchased a Luxman PD171-A TT and am really happy w/it. A big jump from my 1986 Linn which gave me many tears of enjoyment. But using a record weight on a Linn is not recommended. I'm not sure if a record weight is beneficial so I'd like some feed back. They come in a variety of weight's and prices so if I go for one I don't want to hurt the motor. I checked my owners Manuel and there was no mention of using a record weight at a specific weight. Prices vary too. The last one I saw was at the extreme the Acoustic Signature Silencer which was 1K and weighed 1.6 lbs. I'd like to try something at a sane price.
luxmancl38
@geoffkait your Shun Mook mano a mano against my Durand - that’s a fight I’d pay to see 🥊 💥 
So would a clamp give me more of improvement over a weigh being it can flatten the record. Does the Stillpoint do this??

If you’re looking for a weight that will flatten an LP against the platter, anything above 1 lb. (like the Stillpoints LPI) will do it. I have an LPI, but have found that, except for severely cupped records, the lighter and less expensive Starsound Platter Ground does as well at damping vibration. I’ve used both on a vintage Luxman PD444 direct drive TT.

The other potentially beneficial effect of a heavy record weight on a belt drive TT is increasing rotational mass to improve speed stability. On a belt drive TT like VPI TNT, I’ve used brass weights up to five lbs.. But without knowing more about the bearing in your Luxman, that might be a gamble.

@luxmancl38,

You did not mention why you are interested in a weight? In my years of trying clamps and weights, I've had a few interesting happenings. I started off using clamps because at that time I assumed getting the lp to contact the platter was THE most important thing. After years of this, I did find some clamps sounded better than others but never felt I was going anywhere significant. Then it hit me to try several mats, first by themselves, then with weights. I have a (found) material I made into a mat that I love and I have a Funk Firm 5mm mat. I've found that either one on any of my tts sounds better without a weight than they did with just a clamp. Both mats together sound even better (a total of 6mm). 

Whenever I try a clamp now, the sound becomes hard or brittle. I feel the main reason is because I'm connecting the lp to the bearing. With a mat and or mat & weight, I'm decoupling from the bearing as well as giving the lp some damping for the cartridge to take advantage of. I currently use the Stillpoints LP-1.

I don't know if you're able to adjust VTA? With the free trials available, I'd try a Funk Firm 3mm mat alone to start with, then maybe the MoFi weight. It was designed in conjunction with HRS, a respected manufacturer.
Post removed