Ribbon midrange pros and cons

Ribbon tweeters are fairly common on some high end speakers. ...they sound great.....can anyone tell me why ribbon midranges are hardly ever used by some of the best speaker companies. ..what are the pros and cons? 
128x128vinnydabully
bsmg
Infinity had the EMIT tweeter and EMIM mid back in the day; both ribbon diaphragm design. Innovative at the time but not a big hit.
Some of those speaker systems have withstood the test of time, such as the RS-1 and IRS Beta systems. But they aren't ribbons - they are planar drivers.
Wikipedia describes the Infinity emit and emim units as "quasi ribbon" units so it would seem I was quasi correct. 

Don't confuse tweeters like Infinity, Amt, ect ect for true ribbon tweeters like on Magneplanars, Apogees ect ect 
True ribbons are the closest you will get to ESL's, and ESL's are the closest you will get to Plasma. (it's all about mass "diaphragm" weight)

Cheers George
RAAL makes ribbon tweeters  

Companies like GoldenEar use AMT tweeters, they look similar but are different tech.  

The RAAL tweeters are some of the best on the market, but they don’t make any midranges, and I don’t think I have ever seen a ribbon midrange, probably because those frequencies require much more air movement.