Disco...yep, I'm going there

We've all read the comments about disco music, most seem to heavily weigh on the side of "it sucks". I cannot say how many times I've read that two word remark......yet, without any explanation. One thing for sure, that era defined our consciousness and is an important part of our musical history.

Frankly, I love listening to several artists from that era ... Bee Gees, Donna Summer, KC & The Sunshine Band...………..

I really can't understand how anyone can listen to these artists and not be moved to get up and dance. That IS an emotional connection. The exact connection most of us long for. So, what's the problem?
128x128slaw
I love disco and classic dance/club music. I was too young to go to 'discos' in the late 70s but started going out to the new wave clubs in the early 80s. My vinyl consists of albums, 45s, EPs and 12" singles. I think part of disco's demise was several factors: stupid parodies (disco duck, Meco etc...), the rise of punk and synth from the UK and unfortunately, the association of disco with gay people. Remember, this is the late 70s, early 80s when AIDS was was about the enter the culture. That's my two cents, fwiw. 
Disco is cool and so is funk. I like them both great dance music and bar music. I listen to more funk than disco at home but enjoy both. If you don't like a particular style of music fine but no need to denigrate it.
I understand that the distinction between funk and disco can sometimes be blurry but in general I see them as two very different things.  I've heard lots of funk that I like very much.  Less so with disco.
Sems to me there is some music that is a solitary experience. Much like reading a book. And there is some music that is a social/group experience, like dancing. Different music serves different purposes for different environments. There is just music. Good and bad has nothing to do with what someone likes, it has to do with how well it does what the artist making it set out to do. It either works the way it was intended to do, or it doesn't. Opinion is just that, an opinion. There is a big difference between " I don't like it, therefor it sucks" and "I don't like it because I'm not a fan of what that artist does, and, I think it is an unsuccessful execution of that genre"

slaw,

yep, I'm going there
Why did you ever leave? What were you thinking?