Focal Sopra 2

I just posted a review of the Focal Sopra 2 and my speaker journey.

A little sample.

"First listen and I was smiling. The same beautiful sound that I heard in the large showroom was present in my home! And I only had to turn the preamp volume half as high as I had to with the Bob Carver Amazing Line Source speakers. The sound quality was there from the lowest bass to the upper treble. Nothing stood out, or faltered, the sound just blended together as one cohesive sound that is so easy to listen to for hours and hours. Also, I think the speaker style is cool and the speakers finish is impeccable."

Full review below is in the Audiogon Member Review section.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/my-speaker-journey-and-focal-sopra-2

ozzy
128x128ozzy
gmercer,

The Sopra's are listed as a 8 ohm nominal rated speaker.  And I would say that most speakers dip down to at least 3 ohms (or more) at certain frequencies. Many speakers actually start out as a 4 ohm nominal rating.
I believe 100 wpc would be sufficient.  Are you talking SS or Tubes?

ozzy
Ozzy,

Talking tubes. Potentially KT88 or KT120s in push pull.
60 watts just about does it for the Sopra 1s, though I'm sure they'd benefit from a touch more. I heard that minimum impedance is more important even than db sensitivity. How many watts do you use with your sopra 2s?
gmercer,

The minimum impedance is important but I like I stated earlier 3 ohm is really not that low.
Now to me, SS power seems to have more guts to handle those issues.  Tubes can be iffy. Although, I love the sound of tube amps. I am using Bob Carver Raven 350 mono block amps. They are rated for 350 wpc but I really don't know how many watts I am actually using, far less I'm sure. You can never have too much power, especially for dynamic swings and deep bass.
If the Sopra 2's are nearby, perhaps you can take your amp to the audition?

ozzy.
 Ozzy, what speaker cables are you using with these? I just bought the Electra 1038 and I need new cables. Looking for any suggestions. Thanks.