Looking for my first DAC

I have mostly equipment from the eighties with the exception of an OPPO BDP-93.  My Preamp is an ARC SP9-MKII and it's feeding some Acoustat model X's.  I'm leaning toward a Schiit Bifrost Multibit Gen 5, with their 15 day trial period, so I can at listen to it and return if I don't like it.  I have no way of listening to anything without a long drive and most probably a hotel stay, so I'm looking for your vast experience on the DAC's. Price range under $1000. 

Thoughts??

JD
128x128curiousjim
I’ve been analog and tube all my life—currently Linn Sondek, with a Lyra Delos cartridge, with an Audible Illusions pre-amp and a Music Reference RM9–MK2.  I’ve got a tube Jolida JD 100, which I purchased used about 10 years ago. Always found digital sound fatiguing and unmusical. Thought it’s time for a quality DAC, so I purchased a Mytek Liberty from Music Direct (60 day listening period)—and broke it in for the recommended 100 hours. Also using my iPad for streaming Qobuz and Tidal. I know it sounds heretical, but there was no question in my mind that the headphone jack from the iPad sounded way better than the lighting cable output into the Liberty. Richer, deeper, with more overtones (but also still digital). Comparisons with CD to DAC (connected through the Jolida’s coax cable) vs. CD directly into pre-amp were also startling. Only advantage I could see of the Liberty was its ability to make music less fatiguing—which is obviously an asset. But not worth the $1000. I returned the unit. Placed a Lyrita recording of an Arnold Bax Symphony from the 1960s on the turntable and wondered what I was missing about the digital revolution, since analog played with my Harberth 30.1 speakers was like listening to music performed live. 
@ bob7296 dont sell the 9038Pro DAC 
 just change out the 8 "elna" 47uF lytics aound each OpAmp with film cap    It's just MKS2B051001N00JSSD
WIMA Film Capacitors
US HTS:8532250070 ECCN:EAR99 COOE
REPLACING the 8 47uFcaps and the 2 10uF exiting regulator.
You will get it to sing.  The reference designs used in the CHinese board is juat run of the mill ESS sample designs.

I myself was thinking  Schiit Bifrost Multibit then decided on Gungnir Multibit.
My classic Sony CDP707esd with Kimber D60 coax can  make a huge improvement.
Bimby multibit is a great dac! While I prefer my analog setup, I really like the schiit!