New Joseph Audio Pulsar Graphene 2

Just wanted to update my prior thread where this topic may have gotten lost.  As many of you may know by now, Joseph Audio has come out with the new Pulsar Graphene 2. This new iteration of the venerable Pulsars has a graphene coated magnesium midrange-woofer cone, and the drive motor, suspension system, etc., have been revamped. From what I have been told, the upgrade is pretty significant ... the sound is fuller and has greater ease, yet is very resolved. Jeff Joseph advises that an upgrade path will be available for existing owners of the Pulsars, too. Also, note that the price quoted in the Soundstage piece was in Canadian dollars ... Jeff informs me that the price in USD is $8,999 per pair. I am eager to hear the new Pulsars.
rlb61
I’m a little confused about the claims of the infinite slope crossover though. According to the stereophile measurements it looks like 1700 hz crossover point with what looks like a normal roll off. It's a relatively low x-o point for a retail product, which generally improves dispersion, maybe that's what's all the fuss is about?
Hey @wildfoxinn that’s a really good catch!

You are quite right. Nothing in the FR plots, impedance or dispersion points to the claimed infinite slope. Looks like quite traditional 2nd order, with a possible impedance correction circuit thrown in for the crossover point.

I will say, besides a slightly elevated treble level, the plots are otherwise quite excellent.

I find lowered x-o point can really improve driver integration alot. I have a custom speaker that has top of the line Seas drivers (T29D001 tweeter and a new prototype Excel woofer) that had improved imaging noticeably when the crossover point was lowered from 1800hz to 1500hz.

The Seas millenium tweeter in the Pulsars has a bit more xmax than your typical tweeter and it seems like JA decided to be relatively aggresive with their x-o point and I suspect that’s actually where the "magic" is at. Amphion uses a 1600hz x-o and Revel uses 1700hz for their M126Be which I also find have great driver integration.

I'm not sure in which Joseph Audio review I read this, but somewhere Jeff Joseph mentioned that he now slopes the tweeter more gently at the crossover point - somehow whatever he was doing apparently allowed him to crossover his tweeter at a lower frequency which he said works better.
I think driver integration can be done well at any point, but have you tried woofer-assisted wide band? May be your cup of tea. :)

Best,
E