Dual vs single sub

Sorry Im sure this is all over the forums but I only found old articles. Situation. I have Two SVS 3000s that arent really doing it for me. Thinking of trading it in on the Big one and adding another in a year or so. Any thoughts on Big single vs 2 Medium?
128x128bryantdrew
I have been provided conclusive evidence of Duke's (audiokinesis) integrity. Due to my postings on the subject of OB/Dipole subs (particularly the one by GR Research/Rythmik Audio), I was contacted by an Audiogon member concerning their use with planar loudspeakers. I answered his questions, and a few days later received another email from the member, telling me Duke had told him OB/Dipole subs would be a better choice for use with his loudspeakers. How rare is THAT?!
bdp24
Hey, when I told Duke what drivers I was going to use he said mine will kill his. How rare is THAT?!?!?!
Hello bdp24,

I'm not surprised at all that Duke displayed his knowledge and integrity when asked about open baffle dipole subs.  He's displayed to me the exact same vast knowledge of in-room bass sound wave behavior and the explanations of why/how 4-sub distributed bass arrays are such an effective solution with the exact same integrity.
     As far as my understanding of psychoacoustical bass principles and DBAs are concerned, I think of Duke as Mr. Miogi and he's showing me how to wax his car. 

Tim     

"Duke had told him OB/Dipole subs would be a better choice for use with his loudspeakers."

"when I told Duke what drivers I was going to use he said mine will kill his."

Okay that’s it. I’m firing my marketing department!!

Seriously thank you both, and thank you too Tim. I try to promote the distributed multisub concept when I post here rather than my specific product, but that distinction probably doesn’t always come across. My product is really just one possibly way of doing it. I would rather spread a good idea (which Earl Geddes developed and freely shared with me) than sell a lot of subs. (This isn’t as altruistic as it might sound - I have enough orders on the prosound side of my business to keep me busy full time.)

Nor is a distributed multisub system necessarily the most sensible approach for every situation.

If mijostyn takes my posts with a grain of salt, that’s fine. He has every right to be skeptical; I would be if our positions were reversed.

Duke

I am probably gonna get a Rythmik F15HP after I get my Preamp situation squared away. Although I would love to buy 2 subs, alas, I cannot. I think I would rather buy one very big, powerful, tuneful sub than 2 smaller, weaker subs for the same amount of money. I assume I could get great sounding music from my 2-channel with 1 sub. Especially since I would only be using high level inputs and running the mains full range and only using the sub to fill in right around 40hz and below. I know that placement would be more important here, so I might do a sub crawl, but I am a bit nervous about it since I really only have 1 place it could fit while still having acceptable WAF - in the corner of the room just to the right of the right main. Hopefully, that position will suffice.