Entry level turntable for my son

Hello all, 
My 16 year old has the same audio sickness as me. He recently approached me about acquiring a turntable for his system. Any recommendations on the entry level stuff from Rega, project, music hall, etc? Should I stick with the newer stuff or look for an older model like a Planar 3 or a MMF-5? I still use my Linn LP 12,  but I hear the newer ones out there have some nice new features the older entry level stuff didn’t. I don’t think he will be looking to do any modifications in the near future, he just wants to spin some vinyl. 
Thanks in advance!
skipper320
DJing is not about "RAP" at all, real DJs play vinyl, most of them are serious record collectors of many genres of music, including live music , good music (original pressings). Our sleepwalker65 have to talk to psychologist to find out why he has a problem with "Rap DJs" and why in every post about Technics he’s jump in with his mysterious "Rap DJs" who penetrated his turntables in his fantasies. Has anyone seen them? Maybe in America, maybe in the wrong neighborhood with their own turntables?

Technics SL1200mkII designed originally for Hi-Fi, this is the best turntable you can buy for a teenager, because it can’t be damaged like those old or new belt drive toys, and his school mates will be very impressed by Technics (this DD has a cult status). I think i bought mine when i was 19 and i still have a pair of them (but fully upgraded). Many users declared the same in this thread.

Teenagers are not a Hi-Fi snobs, it’s a lot of fun to use Technics without worrying to damage it. The tonearm is one of the best at its price range to adjust properly, super easy to use and train for entire life.

The price is extremely low for such unbeatable Direct Drive made in Japan. These decks serve their owners forever without any maintenance/service, belive it or not. Easily for 30+ years. Technics can be sold anytime quickly.

I think the venerable VPI Scout with the acrylic platter is a great sounding table.  Get one used and they are built like a tank and well, down the road put a Lyra Delos on it and you might be set for a long time.  Its a great combination.  The work very well together.
The prices on the sl-1200’s seem to have climbed north of $500

On used market the price can be from $300 to $500 depends on condition, also depends how quick the seller would like to get rid of it. Some people taking offers. For top condition $500 is ok.  

In case you do decide on Technics, do not forget to buy him oil. A few drops once a year and he is good to go. One little (they are really little) container of Technics-branded oil could last for decade or more but it is more likely he will lose it before he uses it all.