HT bypass with Proceed PAV

I really like the sound of my Proceed PAV/PDSD pre/pro for 2.1 and 5.1, but would like the HDMI and DRC offered by modern processors. As far as I know, the PAV has no HT bypass capability. Does anyone know of a fix that would permit a modern processor to control the volume when the PAV is used for analog stereo? Would the PAV XLR input to the new processor or the processor to the PAV?

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
you can use any of the analog inputs on the PAV, and plug your pre/pro main outs into that input. When you calibrate your HT, just pick a baseline volume setting for the PAV and any time you go to HT mode, select that input on the PAV and set the PAV volume at the baseline setting (eg., 75). Away you go . . .

btw . . . I agree the PAV is a great 2 channel preamp. Interestingly - it beats the hell out of the Proceed Pre - which was their 2 channel preamp that came out on that platform.
Bdgregory,

It hadn't occurred to me that you might be able to control the level of the output of the PAV by controlling the level of the signal input to it. I had assumed preamps have a fairly limited range of acceptable input levels, but that assumption may be incorrect. Does varying input level over the range needed for volume control lead to distortion?

db
Just to be clear, in the setup proposed by Bdgregory the PAV would drive the amps for the main LR speakers and the HT processor would drive the amps for the center and surround speakers. Is that correct? The Velodyne SMS-1 and HGS-15 could be driven by either.

db
Personally, honestly, I say it's time to DTB!!!
I say that Proceed is wwaaaaaaaaaay outdated...obsolete...archeic like, ya know...
Basically, you're holding onto the PAV for it's 2 channel prowes. And, honestly, there are a bout a million dedicated 2 channel preamp choices out there on the used market alone, which are far supperior overall to your PAV!
Now I'm not saying it's not a good sounding piece - just that it's not some special sounding 2 ch piece on it's own, that's some highly desired piece on the market, to be true...destroying all comers in the analog world, basically. I mean let's be realistic.
Yes, I say it's time to move on, move up, and clean out your equipment rack. After all, it's all for sale eventually. And that piece's time has come, I say. But hey, that's just me. That's the way of AV equipement. None of it lasts forever, nor was it designed to...
I say 21st century pre-pro for you, and darn near world class 2 ch analog dedicated pre for the stereo = logical way to go for you, plus best of both worlds.